bettas in communities

dvo112

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
::)

i was at a fish store and they had 1 betta in almost eveery tank they had there. The bettas weren't attacking the other fish. they seem to be getting along  together. can i do this? if yes, what are some fish that i can put them together with?

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
Yes, you can put a male betta or female bettas in nearly any community tank.  They are very clam fish when in this type of setting.  I wouldnt put them with Fancy Guppies...they might see the pretty tails as a threat.  I has one in my gourami tank, but had to remove him because the gouramis were picking on him.  

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Yes, the betta's fin make it hard for him to swim very fast.  So it won't be easy for him to nip at fins, but I don't think the betta would do that any way.  Unless it was another male betta.  

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
My expierence of not good fish with bettas.

Your results may vary.

Do NOT put them with...

Paradise fish(will beat up on the betta)
Some Gourami speicies(I had problems mostly with Dwarfs)
Male Bettas
Other Male betta species
Some Female bettas(have to see if they get along here)
Male Fancy Tail guppies
Tiger, Ruby Barbs(nip and pull fins)
Danios(nip fins)
I am sure there some others....and like I said your results may vary.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I have kept bettas in community tanks with guppies and mollies and they were just fine. I would think it would be fine to keep them together.

Ryan ;D

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
I have had my bettas in tanks with tetras, Fancy Guppies, Barbs etc.  Thay have always been fine.  The only tanks I wouln't put them in with are my tanks with larger fish in them.  Bettas are pretty small if you look at their bodies and not their fins

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I had my yellow male in my comminity tank that has a few dwarf flame gouramis, tetras, catfish and kuhlii loaches. The little bastard almost killed my dwarf flames :( He's in his own 5 gallon, alone.

I now have a purple dt in there and he's perfectly sane. None of the other fish bother him and he just ignores them :)

It really does depend on the fish. I've found that bettas that are raised in jars are a lot more aggresive than those that have grown out in a community.

Oct 22, 2002
Tehy reason he killed your gourami's is cause there from there related and sort of look the same. So he seen them as a threat and killed them. I learned this the hard way with some Kissing gourami's and a Steel blue Double Tail.

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
He didn't kill the flame gouramies, just wounded them (evil evil fish). I know that they are both anabantids, and that the male bettas do feel threated easily by colors ect.

Like i said before, it depends on the bettas personality as to weather or not it will get along with your other fish. :)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[quote author=MaleRubyBarb link=board=freshwatergeneral&num=987203111&start=0#6 date=04/15/01 at 08:11:15]
Ryan,
would that be a regular guppy, or a fancy tail guppy you are talking about?
[/quote][glow=Blue,strength,width]I just kept them with those cheap regular guppies. I have kept them with some fancy guppies as well though. Like they said it all just depends on the betta weather or not he'll get along with the fish.

Ryan ;D[/glow]