betta help

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
Alright. I currently have two male bettas, one in a 2 gallon tank, and another in a 1 gal. I have a female that is in her own two gallon tank, right smack dab in the middle of both of the boys. She's really perky and sweet, but she will take no crap from the boys. When they try to show off and flare at her, she flares right back.
But both of the boys are building bubble nests, and I really want to breed them.
I know that breeding takes alot of time and money, I've read up about the subject millions of times.
I know how it all works, and I know that I need adleast a spare 30 gallon tank to keep the fry in while they grow and all of that stuff.
Sponge filter, good food, homes for the ready... I know what I need.
Time is not really an issue, and money is not either.
I just have no idea how to get started.
I don't know how to start my own farm of the food they need, and I'm a little confused as to what medicine I will need to medicate the females fins after the mating is done.
What do I need to feed both of them to begin with?
Currently they are getting bloodworms and crushed flakes.

Also, one of my males is blue and red, and the other is red and silver and pink, and my female is white and purple. Do the colours have to match to get them to breed better? Or will a mis-matched colour pair get prettier babies?
The blue and red male is a half-moon-crown tail mix I think, I am not really sure.
The other is full half-moon, and my female is a half-moon as well.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Where did you get your bettas? If they're cup babies (bought at the LFS), there's absolutely no telling what type or quality you'll get from a breeding of any of your bettas. What makes you think your one male is a HM/CT cross? You actually don't often see many crosses and if you do, it's not likely they're fertile.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Somewhere on this site, I think it was by someone called "Iggy", I read a diary about breeding bettas. It was an almost daily description and was very interesting. I can't find it now, but maybe someone else can tell you where it is.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
If you are that serious about breeding them, I would purchase a betta book. I have a Tetra brand book called Labryinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Makers (or something like that) that describes breeding and fry development in detail. My only suggestion is to run the sponge filter in one of your current tanks so that it can build up good bacteria for whenever the fry are born.

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
The female and one of my males were both bought at a store, but they were in a tank (alebit a small one, but a tank nonetheless). the one that I am pretty sure is a HM-CT cross I got from a website on here.
It may just be a really big crown tail though.