betta has ick... what do I do?

Jun 6, 2010
I posted this elsewhere and PMed a few people I know, and was advised best to get with someone who knows bettas

Please see below and help if you can.

Betta has ICK...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he is very lethargic, normally, he is almost always on the move....

all i could find at walmart, only place open, was Ick Clear from Jungle Fish Care and

Wardley Essentials, Ick Away....

Read Aquarium Salt helps, 1 teaspoon per every 2.5 gallons, which I did, (added 4 tsp to the 10G tank), however, i doubt I am supposed to do this daily, (see below)

Don't know if I should still add the Jungle Fish Care Ick Clear tablet as well.

TREATMENT:
Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F and add one drop of Aquarisol per gal every day until cured. It will only take a few days to get rid of the pesky little parasites. The reason is that the parasites are sensitive to the heat and at 85F they become free swimming (detach themselves from betta’s skin and go for a swim in the water which contains the Aquarisol. Aquarisol then kills them).

questions on the above (TREATMENT):

How long would I leave the tank at 85? One Day, Several Days?

I will try to pick up some aquarisol tomorrow, but don't want to use the Ick Clear and then add Aquarisol (if I can find it) and be mixing the meds doing more harm than good to the fish....

anyone?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I answered you in the diseases forum, but I'll answer you here too.

Forget about all the crap the stores try to sell you to cure ick. Just crank the heat up on your tank to about 85F for two weeks. During that time do 10-15% water changes every other day, making sure to vacuum the substrate really well to remove any dead or dying parasites. After the first week, your betta should be parasite free. The second week of raised temps is to ensure that all the parasites are truly dead. At the end of the second week, do a large (30-40%) water change, again making sure you vacuum the substrate really well. Make sure that while you have your temperature raised that you are adding oxygen to the tank through the use of an air stone or bubble wand. The higher temps will suck the oxygen out of the water and even though your betta is a surface breather, they still use their gills to extract some oxygen from the water. Also, while you are treating your betta for ick, soak his food in pure garlic juice (can be obtained from a jar of pure minced garlic with no additives like oil). The garlic juice helps boost their immune system to help them overcome disease, injury, infection and parasites more easily and efficiently. Good luck!