Betta + Gourami

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
I went a bit wild at the LFS last time I was there and bought 2 bettas and 2 gourami, one a dwarf flame and the other we were told was a dwarf blue (not sure on that lol). The one betta would not tolerate the gourami from the first second so I put them in with the other betta. Things had gone well until today when I noticed Roy was making a bubble nest. That seems to have sparked his territorial streak and hes been flaring at the gourami though not chasing when they move. I want to keep them together if possible since they had gotten along well and I dont trust the other betta not to beat himself against a divider to get at Roy.

I ordered some plants at the LFS, a wisteria, anubia coffee?, and java fern and am considering getting something called a arrowhead that the LFS says bettas love in his experience. There are a couple of hiding spots for the gouramin in addition. Do you think this level of planting would provide enough shelter/visibility blocking to keep the gourami and betta together?

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
i think it would BUT gourami's and bettas if the wrong sexes are put in together they will fight just like if you were to put 2 male bettas in together. they become very identical in the aggression levels and you will probably always have a problem with them trying to fight each other ecspecially if you are putting them all in together in a 14g tank. thats an awfully small tank for all that aggression and their fighting habits. sorry to say but your probably going to have to split up the gourami's and bettas in seperate tanks so they dont fight and kill each other

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
I only have 2 male bettas in separate tanks. Roy's nest fell apart (it was right by the filter so inevitable) and his aggression seems to have lessened.

Regarding the gourami, I know beyond a doubt one is a flame male. I'm wondering if the other isn't a female dwarf or something. It has a black spot at the tail and is an off whitish. In size its about 1/2-2/3 the size of the flame who is maybe 2 inches. I've looked for pictures to match him/her but havent been able to find any. When I bought it, I thought color was off from stress and all that, but it hasnt brightened at all. I'll try to get a pic of it to post, but unless I can borrow a digital it'll be hopeless lol.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
yeah if you can get a pic up i can try and help you find what kind it is. maybe in the meantime in a google search type in dwarf gourami's or just gourami's and im sure you'll find a site dedicated to just them. gourami's are fun to watch. ive had powder blue dwarf, 2 different opalines, 2 different gold, and a blue gourami. they have interesting personalities