betta girl is bloated on one side

Apr 9, 2011
East Coast, USA
My brother has a female betta, about 4 months old, who has started to bloat on one side of her body. she now will only eat dried bloodworms that are in very small pieces and nothing else. she has not produced eggs, but he was thinking maybe that is why she is bloated.

Could someone please help?:confused:

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Just in case it is constipation, folks on this forum suggest the inside of peas as a digestion aid. I feed peas straight from a can from time to time to all my fish to vary their diet with plant material. I have had male bettas take it well. I scoop some peas from a can in a spoon. Then squeeze the insides out of the pea and wipe the hull onto a paper towel. Snails and some fish will work on the hulls, but it can take days before all the hulls are gone.

Oct 15, 2010
My brother has a female betta, about 4 months old, who has started to bloat on one side of her body. she now will only eat dried bloodworms that are in very small pieces and nothing else. she has not produced eggs, but he was thinking maybe that is why she is bloated.

Could someone please help?:confused:
I PM'ed you back. Please ask any questions if you have any- as I said in the message. :)

Oct 29, 2010
What size tank do you keep her in? Is it filtered or heated? How often do you change the water? Do you know the readings for nitrate, nitrite, or ammonia?

This info will help us help you help her get better :)

Oct 15, 2010
She told me it is a 1.5 gallon (eeh...little on the small side, but could be worse) heated tank, and I quote: "he (meaning her brother) cleans her (tank) regularly, partials ("spot clean") her (tank) every other day and fulls (full water changes?) once a week. " She also told me that it was not filtered.

-uses spring water + water conditioner
-uses 1 tsp of salt per gallon

He (the brother) thinks she is just gravid, but that isn't quite what it sounds like to me. The fact that she eats nothing but dried bloodworms is odd. Bettas are pigs, and will eat almost anything. The fact that it is on one side of the body doesn't sound like she is gravid. Gravid would be equal on both sides of her if anything.

Anyway. That is all I know about the betta.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Pigs?? I heard that Bettas are finicky, which is true for my Betta, Mystic. Mystic will only eat bbs and other things every now and again. She's always scavagin for food and I think that (in order to stay healthy like she is) that she mainly eats infusoria and little bits of micro algae. She did eat half of my Otos algae wafer all by herself though. Then she started to turn green (more like a green sheen to her scales) but now she's gone back to blue. Her fins regularly change from red to blue and a mixture of both.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Yep. I'm going to get some Betta Pellets to see if my Betta will eat them. She's so pinicky and prefers to go after algae and infusoria instead. That's what my youngest fry eat, yet she won't even eat dried bloodworms. BLOODWORMS!!! Every Betta loves bloodworms!!