Betta fish are great

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
So I have a Betta.

He lives in a tank with 11 other fish.

He's awesome. I named him Rana (as in pirana)

He jumps up at his food bottle.

He lets me pet him.

He keeps George the rainbow shark in check.

I can't stand how they keep them in those little jars at the fish store.

Bettas are cool.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Well you re welcome.

I think betas get the short end of the [tank].

They get stocked on the shelf in those tiny cups...

I have seen many people keep them in small jars...even wall sconces.

They are often forced to live alone.

Its really a shame and PITA does nothing about it.

Well, since you have 12 fish in a 3g, that gives the betta about 1/4 of a gallon of water, which isn't even accurate because the sizes of fish are different.

So theoretically, right now, you are keeping a betta in a cup...don't the cups usually say on them that this should not be their permanent home? Yeah, bowls suck and shouldn't be used, but don't bash pet stores when you are basically doing the same thing.

And what do you mean with "they are forced to live alone?" Males CAN NOT be kept together. And all bettas are sold separately. Even keeping males and females together is sometimes a problem. It depends on the fish itself if it can live with others. Bettas can be community fish.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
yeah man.... sorry but your tank is WAY too small for all of those fish. I hate to change the subject of the thread, and I generally don't, but this is too much to just let fly.

Way too many fish. The pleco alone will grow to be 12", and at 5" is already too big. Same as the goldfish. Sorry man, but your betta is no happier in your tank than in a cup...

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Well, as my tag line says...I will be getting a larger tank.

Newbie mistake but they are living and swimming and happy.

As for size...Rana (the Beta) swims all over and around the tank so I take exception with your point that he is cramped.

As for being forced to live alone - well I donl;t mean with other Betta males because that doesn;t work but my Rana loves being in the community tank.

What kind of life would it be to have them alone except for a mirror by the tank 15 mins a day....

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
How do you know they are happy...?

(btw, what was the point of this thread?)

If you saw him in the cup I bought him and and you could see him now...you would know that this is a happy fish.

Point: someone searching the web about Bettas may find this useful.

also: I am expressing my feelings about what I think is a cool fish that before this whole fish thing I knew nothing about.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Homework..

I hate homework...

but when all mine is done I will be a radiologist!

WOuld have been easier to do BEFORE I had kids.... but as we know from the fish experiment I do somethings a bit backwards!

Whats your major kb?