betta and gourami

brody

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
england
would a male betta go with a pair of dwarf gouramis ive know that bettas fin nip but not sure about niping fins on gouramis i have a 30 gallon tank and a betta in a 5 gallon i would like to put him in the 30 with some new fish any ideas?

Mar 24, 2009
ny
i would have to disagree here a bit.
i think it probably depends on the temperments of all fish involved in the community!
i have a male betta in a tank with several gouramis and they never fight.
( i also have a male and female pair swordtails... same thing... )
i just put some shrimpies in my tank... and my betta kept eating them... so i removed him from the tank and put him in his own bowl for the night.
when he rejoined the others in the morning he seemed to have learned his lesson.

if your betta is more on the docile side... or if your gouramis are good at asserting themselves... i do not think they will have problems...
BUT.... only one way to find out!
give it a try...
keep an eye on them...
and if they aren't getting along within a few days...
ya gotta keep em seperated!

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Betta would do much better in your thirty gal. with the Bristlenose and some small tetras like pristella,silvertipped,bloodfin.rummynose,or Whitecloud minnows. Or have you already purchased the gouramis? If so, I would not attempt to place the betta with them. Sure,Some folks do so and have no issues and others...

brody

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
england
no i have the betta in the tank with 5 corys and 10 harlequins i was thinking off dwarf gourami but not to sure if this is overstocked
and the bristlenoses are now gone as i sold them because i didnt feel like breeding them