Betta alone?

Scrumpy

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
London, UK
I have a 20 litre hospital tank that never gets used and I'd like to keep a fish in there. I asked about to see if there are any fish that LIKE to be alone, and someone suggested getting a betta. I know nothing about them really.
Do you think a male or female betta would be happy alone?

Mar 11, 2003
Female bettas can be kept in large schools...if the tank is big enough. I don't know the metric system. How many litres are in a gallon? Anyway, a male betta would do great alone, you can also get a couple of cory cats, they make clean up easier and are really neat fish! Despite what people say, male bettas CAN be with other fish of the same care, but NOT another betta.

Alexa

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
in my opinon, i'd keep it a hosiptal tank, you never know when you might need one. Also you can do neat expiraments in it :)

But if you must put a fish in, a beta would do fine. Or a few schooling tetras.

Mar 11, 2003
ah, thank you. So thats a 10 gallon? You can put 3 dividers in and put 3 male bettas in it. You can buy dividers or get them custom cut, and use acrylic sealer to make it. I suggest the 3 dividers, you can always leave one empty for the hospital section.

Scrumpy

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
London, UK
Thanks for the advice everyone. I got a male Betta in the end....and 3 pigmy cories to keep him company (though one died :( ). I've got lots of plants in there, and some rocks to hide in. So far so good....he looks quite happy :)

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
personaly, i wouldnt add anything to a 1.5 gallon tank, thats just me. 10 gallons is the smallest i'd use for anything.

but just a guess, 2-4? they eat various things, shrimp pellets, detrius, bacteria, algae. flake etc