best way to lower PH?

i have the perfect PH for cichlids... african cichlids that is... my PH is about 8.2, and my water is so hard its like rock. the thing is i want to keep discus. i was trying to decide the best way to go about lowering my PH and softening my water. so far i have come up with peat, or RO. i dont particularly want to buy that much RO though... especially with the frequency of WCs needed. but i also have questions about peat, like how fast does it work? will it stop lowering the hardness and PH after a certain number is reached? do i leave it in the tank? does it need to be replaced often? would it be best to go with peat, or purchase an RO unit? are there alternatives besides these?

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
in the aquarium book i have it saids the best is peat, using it as a filter medium in a nylon bag (stocking) works well. it also says that peat is easily "exhausted", and it needs renewing at intervals established by monitoring pH.

It also says soft water is easily acidified by using peat filtratiomn, but i dont think you will have to worry about that because you ahve such hard water.

I would say try the peat in a filter or something and see if it works.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
My PH dropped in my 29 when I had it after I added Drift wood. Would have been a coincidence but I'm thinking it was the drift wood. My other tanks weren't low like that one was.