BB Goby tankmates?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK, setting up a BB Goby tank and I was wondering if there is some fish I am missing that I could keep with them?

I had them in with some F8 puffers, but I don't want another puffer. MY backup plan is a species only tank or a couple mollies, but I would really like to have one centerpiece fish. This is in a 20gal tall, although we are putting in 2 large shelves to give more 'floor space' for the gobies.

Any ideas?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
That's what I figured, I was just hoping I skipped over something. I guess they'll be on their own then.

I'll post pics when I get the tank setup, should be really neat if it comes out like I am imagining it! :)

Jul 5, 2006
Syracuse
You could also try Knight Gobies (Stigmatogobius sadanundio). They also appreciate the low-brackish conditions of BBGs (1.005 SG) and stay at about 3". They can be a little pushy at feeding time, but of course BBGs can be little pitbulls themselves, and in my experience they can cohabitate nicely. I'd suggest getting two knight gobies, if you do decide to go that route, just so if they do begin to get pushy they'll keep it amongst themselves.

Otherwise mollies are a great option. I have two gold dust mollies that look wonderful alongside BBGs, and they try schooling with my BBG occasionally because their coloring is so close.
Good luck, your new set-up sounds like it will be great! :)

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I have not seen any even mild aggression for my gobies, they were little sweeties, just lounging around and slurping up flakes and bloodworms. They never had any problems with the puffers, mollies, or dwarf platties they roomed with. I think we're going to keep it just the BBs thoguh, unless I stumble agross some knight gobies, not going out of my way to get them though. I was worried that the BBs might be lunch for the knights though, with the knights getting so much bigger.

Thanks, I'm hoping this tank will turn out as awesome as I have planned it... it's killing me to have it sitting pretty much empty next to me and not be putting in the shelves, but this tank is more hubby's tank than mine, so I don't want to do it without him. and he works late tonight LOL... grrrr Oh well, I'll have everything cleaned and layed out ready to put together when he gets home... now to clean out those other few tanks so I can steal the stand for this tank and have a place to put my new additions that I am getting this weekend. Fun stuff.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I read that bb gobies are equivalent to the anal neighbor that gets pi**ed off if you step on his lawn. They are pretty funny to watch when one invades the others 'territory' but I never saw them be physical towards one another. They just open their cute little mouths and chase the other one away :)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I've never seen an ounce of aggresion or tiffyness from mine.

A good tank mate for them that can't eat them would be white cheek gobys. If you can find them that is.

Jul 5, 2006
Syracuse
I have read from several sources as well as some members on a different forum that kept 'Rhinogobius wui' that they do survive in higher temps but will not thrive unless kept best in colder water (mid 60s to low 70s) and in fresh water. If you do find some that would be great for a species only tank, but they will not live to their full life span if temperatures reach much higher than that stated above... so they may not be the best tankmates for BBGs.

An orange chromide would do very nicely.
They easily pair in groups but I'd recommend only one just so that a breeding pair didn't steal the BBG's show ;) .
One or two knight gobies. It would be great to have a swarm of BBG's and then out of nowhere this fat lunker of a goby comes hoping out from behind it's favorite rock. They do pretty well together only the knights tend to eat a lot faster than the BB's and aren't quite as picky.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I have read from several sources as well as some members on a different forum that kept 'Rhinogobius wui' that they do survive in higher temps but will not thrive unless kept best in colder water (mid 60s to low 70s) and in fresh water.
Funny, I've researched this species extensively and never have I seen any mention of temps. I do know that breeding is normally done in fresh water that is soft with a low PH. I've kept mine for over a yr now without any losses in tropical conditions. It's a balmy 80-82 degrees in my fish room ATM.

Could you please provide a link to where you read this about the temp? Maybe I missed something.