bb gobies+f-8 puffers

Jul 30, 2003
College Station, TX
Visit site
I wouldn't do it. T. biocellatus needs at least a 20, as it can get to 6 inches. All the scientific evidence also points to it being a freshwater fish, where as the gobies are brackish. However, many people keep this puffer in brackish conditions and insist it does fine. The next problem is that a Brachygobius have been known to be aggressive against conspecifics, and may require more room than a 10 gallon to get along.

Jul 30, 2003
College Station, TX
Visit site
Tank bred? Those are really rare, as T. biocellatus seems to breed independent of the owner, and thus we can't figure out what makes them do it. In fact, the only tank bred T. biocellatus I've ever seen was $25US each, because of the rarety. No T. biocelatus stays at 2 inches. I've kept them in pure FW and had them grow to just over 5 inches. Others have gotten them to the same size in brackish water. Also, puffers produce a lot of waste for their size. Roughly 3-4 times the amount of wast. They are also messy eaters, which leaves more food to decay in the bed. Even T. biocellatus can be aggressive as well. They are generally good natured, but not always.

I've also had Brachygobius sp. become puffer food before.

Just because I'm new to this forum, doesn't mean I'm new to fish keeping or that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've got tons of posts on other forums as well, and I've been keeping fish as long as I can remember.

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Well maybe it is Ignore not igor. Puffs require anywher from 3-5gal each unless they are the really big ones then they require the whole tank. Aggiemarine really sounds like he knows what is up. Id listen to him. IMO gobies are a good mix with brakish puffers, that is if you have a brakish puffer. I have never seen a fig-8 only get to 2 inches and stop growing, the only reason it might do that is that is was in unhealthy conditions and couldnt grow anymore comfortably.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2003
College Station, TX
Visit site
If you've got a 20 and are comfortable keeping T. biocellatus in brackish water, then that sounds ok. Don't get more than 4 gobies though. They might even breed in that tank. Be sure to have some fake plants, driftwood, and rocks in there.

I honestly think that whomever is telling you these are tankbred T. biocellatus isn't being honest or the person that told them isn't.

BTW, I'm a him, not a her. I get Aggie from my school, Texas A&M University Aggies, and Marine because I'm a US Marine.

Last edited:

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
To tell ya the truth, Im one of those people that read like the first few letters of words that i dont emediatly recognize and just make up whatever for the rest of the word, so after your post i read you name clearly and relized it was aggiemarine, not aggiemaria. :D