Battling Mouth Rot

Feb 24, 2008
We have a large goldfish, about 5 years old and 5-6 inches in body, who seems to have a very bad case of mouth rot. Condition was first noticed on New Years Eve, and treatment was begun that same day. She was removed from the 70 gallon tank she shared with three others, and placed into a 10 gallon hospital tank. We treated with erythromyacin, removing charcoal from the filter first. We have also been feeding her antibiotic food.

For a while, it looked like the problem was getting worse - but then she started to improve and we bought a 20 gallon tank to isolate her in. The water is regularly treated for ammonia; partial water changes once a week, complete water change every weekend. She is given extra Stress Coat on a regular basis as well.

We've been treating her for two months now, and one pet store guy said at her size and age that if I wanted to give her a fair, fighting chance I should give the treatment 3-4 months - so we are only halfway there.

I want to know if there is a better treatment. Would sulpha be better than erythromyacin? Tetracyclin perhaps? I put a bit of Pimafix in the water each evening, and the meds go in each morning. She eats and poops regularly and has no other external signs of disease or injury. She is a perfect white, so any bleeding or parasites would be easily seen. Her behavior seems normal for someone who was yanked out of her known home and stuck in isolation.

The problem is not getting worse, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I managed to get some photos, would it be appropriate and acceptable to post a few if that would help?

I have two issues; how best to treat her being the first; how best to dispose of her should it become necessary to do so being the second.

Obviously, I'm not concerned about the money. She's just a comet, an overgrown feeder fish, but she's been with us a long time and I've already spent scads of money on her this far... I just want her to get better so she can go back in the big tank with her life buddies.

I'd appreciate any advice you have, and thank you for taking the time to help.

--Roc