Bamboo Setup

Deftec

New Fish
Apr 29, 2008
So I've been contemplating this idea for the past 2 days, and decided I'll give it a shot, if I don't like it or it doesn't work...I'll just take it off. Since I was having a string of bad luck with my SW tank I took it down the other day and am going back to a FW tank. I've read on numerous places that bamboo can't grow completely submerged, so why not build cubes/shelves/planters in the tank to allow them to grow out the back? I'd also cut some circles in the plexiglass to allow any possible fry to have a place to hide, and allow better circulation of the water. Then find some sort of moss/plant that will drape down and cover all the glass.
I built the lid today and picked up 2 26'' plant lights from wal-mart(75 watt each light, so nearly 3 wpg for a 55). I also finished building the hood, nothing too spectacular, but it will hide the lights and make a good shelf. I'll get pics of this once it's done getting water-sealed.
The shelves I'm going to build tomorrow as soon as I source the plexiglass to do it with, but here's a quick sketch I made so you have somewhat of a visual aid.
ANY constructive criticism is welcome and asked for. That and any thoughts/suggestions would be great too:D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I don't see why it wouldn't work. One suggestion for the shelves for the bamboo is to use the suction-cup soap holders that they make for sinks/bathrooms. I've seen them used in saltwater tanks as frag shelves. Of course, if you have good DIY skills, you can probably make something more elegant.

Bamboo plants don't need very high lighting, by the way. I've kept them in rooms with very little natural light and fluorescent lights on the ceiling. This was using them as houseplants. You could also consider keeping pothos in the tank in the same way as the bamboo. It grows well in tankwater.

Deftec

New Fish
Apr 29, 2008
I know they don't require too much light, but I would like to get some med light plants for the aquarium...I hope it won't hurt the bamboo? haha. I'll look into the suction cups tomorrow when I'm out and about. Would make for an easy removal if I decide I don't like it.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I found when my Bamboo got too much light it got VERY light coloured (almost like it was bleaching). Easy enough to move them with this setup though if you notice it.

I've always loved emergent set ups, please do post some pics when you get that far :).

Chris

Deftec

New Fish
Apr 29, 2008
It'll be a few weeks unfortunately, just ordered my substrate online, and still gotta remove the tank and clean EVERYTHING all over since it was SW.

Deftec

New Fish
Apr 29, 2008
No, I built a lid last night that should accommodate to the needs. (lights bolt to the bottom of it, lid opens in front, and the back is open for the plants to grow through)