Assassin Snail evicted

Jan 1, 2010
We were having an outbreak of snails and I bought an Assassin Snail a month and a half ago to take care of it. Well, it turns out Assassin Snails only eat big snails. Something at least 1/2 their size if not bigger.The Assassin Snail was like 3/4" long. The pest snails were probably about 1/16".

During regular cleanings I would pick out all the pest snails I could find. I've also heard that livebearers like guppies and platys may eat snails if they can fit in their mouth.

The past couple weeks, I noticed there are practically no snails left. I also started seeing the Assassin Snail less and less–even after the lights went out (possibly getting malnourished?)

I've heard a big dead snail can really cause mischief to tank's water chemistry. Since we a tiny 5.5 gallon, I decided to pull out the Assassin Snail and bring it back to the LFS from where he came.

Was this a bad idea? He was nearly $6 bucks. Our most expensive livestock in there. And they didn't even give me any credit or anything.

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
You say there are no more little snails in there? Then I say no it was not a bad idea. Giving up something in your tank for the well being of your fish is never a bad idea. If its the money end of your looking at then look at it this way if that snail had died in your tank and as a result the rest of your fish died. How much would that have costed you?