Asian Arowana "Dragon Fish"

A

Atlantic Fish

Thought about ordering in one of these, anyone know anything about them, seen them before, or have had any experiences with them??

Thanks 8)

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
Ok- it's me again. I have not had one of these but i do know about them. Expect to spend at least a few grand on one. They each have their own id's, and soem paper work that comes with them. They are an endangered speices and to obtain one you have to get all the paper work from C.I.T.E.S tht protects them. This also means you will have to registar with then as an owner of one. They can be a b!tch to take care of also, picky about water quality, etc.. I would say just get a silver arawonna. they are a little easier to come by and they aren't as expensive and easier to keep. Hope this helps. ;D

A

Atlantic Fish

OK!!  Yeah, forget that,,, I didnt realize they were so rare and expensive!   So how about the silver arowana?  What are they like behavior wise, eating habits, and how big do they get?
Greatly appreciate all the help! *thumbsup2*

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
Ok. Silver Arawonna. Most of the time they will not get any larger then 2 or so feet in a home or business aquarium.  In large city aquariums they will get about 3-5 feet in lenght.  The largest speciman on record was 15 feet long and weighted like 1000 sumthin pounds. Anyway, they will stak out an area of the aquarium were they will keep to themselves and not allow anything else to come into that little circle. The one i had, had a circle about 6 inches around the heater were he would let nothing come into. He stared down the green terrors many times. But they ganged up and mauled him anyway. ( bastards ) Other then that they pretty much stay to them selves at the top of the tank. Mine at hikari freeze dried krill. He loved it. It's just when they are little you need to feed them often. mine would also eat small fish. Once they get to a decent size, you should try and swtich them on to a pellet diet like hikari predator sticks, to provide good nutrition. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, i'll be here.

A

Atlantic Fish

So, you would recomend this fish for a 150g tank? 72"Lx18"Dx28"H.  Id just hate having a fish cramped with not enought space to move easily.  Sounds like a beautiful fish.  Im ordering the tank and other equipment today, so im gonna check out about ordering the arowana...

A

Atlantic Fish

Just up to the LFS, no trouble to get an silver arowana, actually he has a lot of different species avalible to him.  A 4" silver is $10.00. Not a bad price at all...  He stocks the feeding sticks aswell, the ones you recomended.  I think I just might order one once the tank is cycled.  My only concern is their size.  Is there an Arowana that max's out in size at say 18-24"?  Anymore then 2ft and I think he will get a little cramped for space, and a 6ft tank is as big as Im going, there is absolutly no more space for a bigger tank.

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
A 4" silver is $10.00. Not a bad price at all...
Damn!! That is a great price. i paid 15 for both of mine and they were only like 3 inches. As far as the different species go, the black arawonnas are real pretty whenthey are babies, but lose color when older. The silvers are the same color the whole time. It probably won't get much larger then 18-20" in that aquarium, from what i have heard from some other guys is that they will usually stop growing once they have reached the max size the tank will support. Nather or not this is true ...i don't know. mine didn't live long enough.

--We should set up a disscusion page called Ask Geoff.  ;) So i can answer all these weird questions about fish that no one has or had.

A

Atlantic Fish

Thanks for the info man, a silver arowana is what it is going to be! cant wait. Ill post some pics when we start the set up process and the new fish..Take it easy.

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
As for Arowanas, try to look for one with straight eyes. If the upper of the eyes look down or have a eye lid appearance, it because it has been kept in a frightened environment. Arowanas can be spooked easily and will jump out of tank if closely fitted lids aren't kept on tank. Also try to always keep some kind of light on the tank, so they won't spook easily in the dark (nite-lite). I keep a 10-11 inch silver arowana in a 65 Gallon long tank with a Red Tailed Catfish (gotta separate them soon!). All I do to feed them is place feeder fish in the tank. They eat them when they're hungry. As for asian arowana (red arowana), they are very expensive and imported through one person I know from Canada from Asia. Oh, some fish breeder pick small arowanas (3-4 inches), about 3-4, place them in a tank, and let them fend for them selves. In a fewdays to weeks,the strongest arowana will be the last one, this is the one you'll keep. *crazysmiley*

ryuken168

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Big Apple, NY
Before you buy the Silver Arowana, also check out the Australian Arowana (Jardini or Leichardti) also sold in LFS. They cost a little more then the Silver. They come close in the same body shape as the Asian type. They are a better match for your 18" depth of your 150 gallon tank when they turn. Their avg. size are 18"-24" inches. The Silver Aro grow much longer then that about 32"
In nature they like to leap out of the water for insects, so keep a heavy lid on top and cover all holes or lower the water level.
Here is a link to a Australian Aros.
http://www.geocities.com/bkyoong/others.htmlfor more info check out
http://www.arofanatics.com/

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
i have an uncle who has the jardini arrowana he got when it was 5" in philly that was about 2 years ago and now it's like  15 inches and a friend of his bought two silver arrowanas over 3 years ago they were only 3" and kept in a 30gal and just few months ago my cuz took them off her hands could u beleive it they were aroud 15-20 inches in  30 together would have a lil fight everynow and then so anyways my cuz has like a 70 gal tank and kept them in those anyways i was telllin him they're gonna fight and trade one in for some store credit but he didn't listen and the smaller of the two was found floating dead just last week but now the last one got the tank to himself lol but my point is took about 3 years for them to get couple inches to foot and half