aqua babies?/Co2 Discussion.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Has anyone else seen these things? I bought one for my desk at work and it has 3 baby neon tetras and a snail in it. What are your opinions on this?

R

ronrca

Re: aqua babies?

Would never buy one!!! Its bad! Please read http://www.rk2000.com/boycott/aquababies.html

I would say its like living in your washroom with 2-3 friends. Im sure you would live but would happy and long? I dont know why people think that fish can live in a small container and happily. We live in such a good land but cant give our fish a better home. Its just like the bettas in a jar. I hate it. I call bs on anyone that tells me that they live like that in the wild. Sure they can but not for the rest of their lives. I say, if you buy them, give them the best you can. Even if you put a betta in a 2G bowl, he will be much happier.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

Dont get your panties in a bunch. I know they cant live in here forever. Once they get a little bigger I will move them into my 30 gallon tank. It just about the same as getting a goldfish and putting him in a bowl. Get over it. They are fish afterall. Do you cry when one of your fish die???

R

ronrca

You asked for an opinion and you didnt like it! ::)
Well, some people dont regard fish as just fish afterall. And no I dont cry when fish die but I hate to see animals suffer because of some peoples lack of knowledge. I didnt mean that you would not take care of the fish and Im glad that you will provide a better home for them later on. But how many people do not! I know a guy at work, he bought himself a betta and he thinks that they can be happy living in a small bowl the size of a cup.  

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

yeah i see your point now. You also have to think about how fish are kept at the pet stores.. way too many all crammed in one take no plants or places to hide etc. I have a lot of pets including 2 cats a red eared slider (turtle) and a lot of fish. I get upset when my fish die but its not the end of the world. Now if one of my cats or my turtle died that would be devistating.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002

If you think aquababies are bad, check out www.bonsaikitten.com *(please don't touch my kitten! :-* :-* :-* :-* )

* Its a humourous site dammit!

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

aquababies are the DEVIL! >:(
  seriously, if you could buy some and then transfer them to a real tank, it would be a good deed. there is a basic rule with small fish of one inch per gallon, not to mention there has to be a large surface area to absorb oxygen in a tank without a stone, of which these things have neither.
it is always easy to make money off of cute little torture devices that are sold to people who don't know any better. it's like keeping a chihuahua in a pet taxi it's whole entire life, even if they don't have feelings. it's so MEAN!

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio

Yah those things are a pieces of crap  >:( They say that the rocks they have in the tank provide biological filtration. Ha. But anyway never buy these ever!

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

I could be wrong here but I think they are talking about the fact that there is bacterial living in the gravel and the bacterial eat shit. Therefore the bacteria living in the gravel provide filtration?

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net

Correct, Psycho, but only biological filtration.  Yes, fishboy, it does provide biological filtration, but then again, so does the gravel, the tank walls, the plant, etc.; anywhere where the nitrifying bacteria can grow. It doesn't, however, provide mechanical or chemical filtration.
Ryan, an "aquababy" is a teeny tiny acrylic cube (about 1.5 pints, I think) that houses 1 live fish or frog, a teeny plant, "live" gravel, and water.  The fish are usually fry.  The ones I've seen had zebra danios in them, and when the fish grows at all there simply won't be enough room for him.
In short, they're torture chambers for fish.  Thankfully, I haven't seen any down here since I moved here.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

I am sure it was not a bubble nest. I suggest you try it for yourself. Take a bunch of anacheris and put it in a jar of water. Seal it then put the jar in direct sunlight.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

[quote author=ownedbykitten link=board=beginner&num=992369323&start=15#19 date=06/14/01 at 22:10:14]

Ummmmmmm... no. I don't just study biology, its my major. All living things, plants included, use oxygen. The final product of photosynthesis is glucose. The plant, and all living things need oxygen to convert glucose to energy, and plants also use oxygen in the process of turning glucose into other things used in construction of new growth, such as cellulose. Plants respire like everything else. They may spend the day photosynthesizing, but when that process stops at night, the plant takes in oxygen just like everything else, to be used in the processes of energy and growth.

Thats why plants need rest to grow. Thats why a plants rest cycle is so important. Plants DO use oxygen.
[/quote]

This is not true. There are living things that do not require oxygen. One example that I can think of is bacteria that live in the volcanic vents at the bottom of the ocean where there is no oxygen. They live off sulfur.

Im sure that plants produce a LOT more oxygen then they take in at night.

R

ronrca

It would be interesting to find out at what rate plants produce verses consume oxygen. Another interesting thing would to be find out how much surface movement is required for the exchange of oxygen and cardon dioxide. I know most people strongly believe in an airstone in their tanks. I dont have any airstones in my 10G, 30G and 90G for almost a year now. I do however, have surface movement from filters and pumps.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

I do have to make a point here. Plants produce oxygen. I know for a fact anacharis produces A LOT of oxygen if it is placed in direct sunlight. I did an experiment when I was in high school. I put a betta in a pint jar with a little gravel a bunch of anacharis and a little food. I filled the water nearly to the top and put the jar in direct sunlight. The jar was completely SEALED and no oxygen could get in. The jar sat in the window for 17 days without being opened. Not only did the betta live but I actually saw oxygen bubbles forming on the underside of the anacharis leaves. So dont go saying that the fish will die from lack of oxygen. The plant combined with the surface area that is there should provide more than enough oxygen.

>:( >:( >:( >:(These aquababies really make me sick, they tried them in the UK last year but I think the problem has now gone away. I e-mailed the owners of aquabaies and told them what I thought, they had the cheek to compare themselves to fishkeepers. Above all boycott these things until they do not exist anymore. :( :( :(

R

ronrca

A point to clarify is that plants only provide oxygen in the day not in the night. Plants actually consume oxygen at night. One question, does it mention to change water? I do agree with a closed system aquarium. Isnt that what we all have? The point I think is size and quality (water). We could live in a washroom too.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

I have NEVER heard of plants consuming oxygen. It is true that they do not convert co2 to o2 at night but I have taken several botany classes and biology classes and have NEVER heard of a plant CONSUMING oxygen. Where did you get this information?

Yes they tell you to do water changes. The information I got said like every other week.

R

ronrca

quote from a website:

As photosynthesis requires light, this process can only occur during the day. In this period, plants draw carbon dioxide from the water and release oxygen into the water. At night however, there is no photosynthesis and the reverse occurs - plants consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide.

http://www.notcatfish.com/chemistry/carbon_dioxide.htm