Apple snails, plant menace?

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Are apple snails truly plant eating monsters?

I recently lost the sole oto in my ten gallon through starvation. I was feeding him sinking tablets twice a week, but either that wasn't enough or the 5 kuhli loaches got to them first. Since the oto's passing, my tank has become an algae infestation. The oto kept the glass clean, and everything was stable for months and months... only difference now is the oto's gone.

I don't want to get another oto or any algae eating fish because it seems the tank won't sustain it.

How about a snail? Apple snails get pretty big and I've heard they'll go to town on plants. But what about other snails? Mystery snails?

Yes, I know cleaning the glass is the best way to keep it clean, but I'd like to get some form of life that will help eat it.

Sep 8, 2005
I have apple snails and mystery snails [ some say they are the same but not always ] and my plants are intact. They are not prolific algae eaters like ottos but they do clean some.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
My apple snails do a good job of keeping the glass clean, however I noticed that if the algae has already gotten a foothold in the tank they're not very good at catching up like ottos are. If I put a snail in a clean tank it seems to stay clean...if I put a snail in a dirty tank I can follow their trail all over the glass, but they never quite get it clean. SO if you're having issues still you might try wiping the glass down really well next water change and see if he keeps things under control then.

Mine haven't touched my plants in the 46...but I did see a lady bringing back an apple snail one time saying it ate all of her plants so I'd just keep an eye to make sure he doesn't start chomping on them.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
There are actualy several species of snail that are often labled as apple snails or mystery snails. All the ones I've came across have not touched a healthy plant, but are more than willing to eat any decaying parts or leaves.

www.applesnail.net has some very good information on keeping these snails, as well as handy info on better identifing the different species of snails. This will go a long way it actualy dermining the chances of a snail going to town on some plants.

Nov 25, 2005
Proper apple snails "Pomecea Bridgesii" will not eat living plants. They will only eat dead or decaying plant matter. I keep mine with an Anubia and a Amazon sword, no problems. They like to explore and climb, so fragile, bunched plants are not a good idea. They got into my ambulia. They try to eat the bottoms. Snails thrive in hard alkaline water. The site where I purchased mine recommends pH7.6 or above. They need calcium and like water above or around 74 degrees farenheight. They are very sensitive to copper and heavy metals. Use a dechlorinator/water prep that completely inactivates these to be safe. And yes caniculata will devour many plants, but some plants, like swords, may withstand their appetites. I have 2 ivory, 2 striped purple (my favorites), and one ebony. I have clutches that should hatch soon. Healthy snails are active, comical, inquisitive, and fun. They do cut down on algae, especially on the glass.

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
If you are looking for a snail that eats LOADS of algae but won't touch plants, get yourself some nerites. It's true they are a saltwater snail, but they adapt quit readily to fresh water. The best thing about them is THEY WILL NOT BREED in fresh water. Oh happy day!

I put 6 olive nerites in my betta 5 gal hex. The lighting I have on it, and lack of plants, algae was going nuts. These guys cleaned ALL of it in a matter of days. They have been living very well in the tank now for about 2 months. The guy I get them from has already acclimated them to freshwater. So all I had to do was a regular acclimation for new snails. :D