Apistogramma agassizi female always hiding

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
She's always hiding, I have a male and female. She's always in her little cave I never see her come out. I even moved the cave to make sure she was alive in there and no matter how I move it shell stay in the cave while I move it lol. The male was chasing her when I first got her and she was swimming out freely but she's always in that cave!? Is this okay? I always try to drop food in front of her cave to see if she'll eat so idk of she's eating or if she swims at all???

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; A couple of thoughts. She may be truly hiding, from the male or some other fish. You do not mention the size of the tank. For example the male may have decided that the entire tank is his territory and she has retreated to the shell.

She may have made a nest in the shell. There could even be eggs in the shell if this is correct. I have seen other small chiclid females do this (kribensis). In this sceneario the male may be on guard outside the shell while the female stays inside. With this theory the shell should be left alone as disturbing it may prompt the female to eat the eggs.

Either way try observing the interaction between the male and female. One of the joys of fish keeping is working out the dynamic relationships between fishes.