anyone?

Oct 5, 2005
Houston
Hey does anyone have any stingrays or arwonas? I just wanted to know because I'm thinking about getting some but dont know how big a tank size i need. Also if anyone knows any good places to find rare and exotic fish would be greatly appreciated.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Theres afew ppl around here that have the fish you are asking about....I had an arowana and you need a BIG tank...in the wild they are known to get up to 16 ft...big enuf to eat a man lol anyway, they are cool fish, eat mostly live food and are amazing to watch. I would say at LEAST a 125 tank for a fish like that. Hopefully some of the others that are keepers now will see this and give you some pointers. Good luck

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree...also freshwater stingrays need at LEAST that ...they need lots of open space in the tank. Arrowanas grow very quickly so there isn't much use in saying "oh I'll upgrade their tank when they get bigger" you can practically watch them grow.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I would love to get one...but I dont have the room or money for that big of a tank so I just enjoy the ones at the store and a couple of restaurants nearby that have them.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Arowana don't get 16 feet long but they do hit 3 feet plus pretty regularly so even a 125 is not big enough (how big is a 125 - 4 *2 * 2 feet or so?) They are not especially bendy, or good at turning round so you need at least 2 or 3 feet of width.
You see little rays that seem to top out at about 8 inches or a foot diameter disk, but for most it's worth assuming they are going to end up with a disk at least 18 inches across. People I've seen do well with rays have them in big, bare bottom tanks, and big means big, 6 feet by 4 feet base area, but they only need limited depth. Also note that rays are downright fussy w.r.t. water conditions so you might want to investigate plumbing the tank in as you're going to be changing a big load of water at least once or twice a week (think of 50, 100 gallon water changes.....)
you'll find big shallow tanks are pretty reasonably priced, but you do need somewhere to put them.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Wayne- Most 'standard' 125's are 72x18x22 inches. I did not know that they wern't very bendy. I would have thought such a cylindrical fish would be.

The smallest tank's I've ever seen ray's in were around the 250-280 range. And honestly those looked a little cramped.

Oct 5, 2005
Houston
wow hey thanx for the info wayne! That's crazy I dunno if I'll be able to get any of them at all if they need bigger than a 125g. I'm hoping to get a 400g pretty soon. If i get that then I'll be set.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Well I personally raised an arowana in a 125 that was 6ftx18x22...and they ARE very bendy...they move just like a snake where their tail can be even with their face when they turn around and yes they have been reported as big as 16 ft IN THE WILD. I read that in a reputable fish book I had years ago..no of course they dont get that big in a tank. Anyway...I dont know anything about rays except they look cool and I have seen them only in huge tanks. What ever you end up with I hope you will be happy and good luck on getting a 400 that is AWESOME

Oct 5, 2005
Houston
LOL Thanx TLM4X4! Sounds like you were trying to set the record straight there. But its all good. I heard that I can successfuly have arowana and rays in one tank. Arowana's mostly dwell at the tank of the tank and rays are bottom dwellers. I just didnt know how big a tank I needed. If 125 is good enough for you than its good enough for me.