Anyone else try the garlic treatment?

bumblebee

Large Fish
Apr 8, 2003
Medina, NY
Visit site
Well after reading Avalon's internal parasite sticky I decided I needed to treat my tanks and needed an inexpensive way. I had only noticed one platy with stingy feces, but wanted to treat the whole tank. I had known the healing properties of garlic in humans so I decided to try the treatment on my fish. I found that they don't like the garlic minced. But when I soak bloodworms or shrimp pellets in the pure fresh squeezed garlic juice they all ate it. I had just cleaned my tank yesterday and within 30 minutes, the entire bottom of my tank was covered in nasty stringy poop! Needless to say, I will need to do a water change tomorrow. But what really struck me was that almost every fish in my tank had white stringy poop, even the healthiest looking fish. None of them had even been acting abnormal or anything! My question is how long can I feed them the garlic soaked food? Can I add too much??? I haven't seen much about how much to add and for how long. I think I would want to treat teh food with it for a while though... What does everyone think?
JC

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I know this post is like SUPER old but, many marine (saltwater) foods have garlic already in them and are safe to feed just about any fish. Look for marine flake food with garlic on the label. I feed this to my FW fish about every other day or so. Been doing it for years this way.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
used to put garlic in the beefheart when i made it for the discus, loved it!

athough i wonder if it can mess with their stomachs...? i know if i eat a clove now and then itll make me sick