Another new guy...

Dec 3, 2009
I'm a new fish enthusiast. A while back I was at Petsmart looking at fish and decided I was finally going to get a tank. I never had time or space until now. But I finally have a house of my own.

About 2 weeks ago, I had the opportunity to buy a 55 gallon tank on a dresser/cabinet stand for $50 and I couldn't resist. I know it's quite large for a begginner.

I'm doing a freshwater set up and I'm about to start "cycling" now.

Currently I'm at the point of deciding what I want to get. My goal is to have a variety of fish that are active and use all areas of the tank. Not just fish that stay up top or fish that just stay at the bottom.

I really like fish like Plecos, Bichers and Loaches. But I also really want a Shark or a Puffer. I've ALWAYS wanted an Octopus, but I don't think I know enough about tanks for one of those lol. The Dragon Goby and Sterlet are cool too.

If I don't end up getting fish like that, then I was also thinking about collecting a bunch of electric blue fish (like the electric blue cichlid & elec. blue lobster) and setting up a black light that would really make them glow.

My biggest worry is that I'm gonna pick out fish that won't get along with each other or I'll get in over my head with maintenance.

Anyways... I just wanted to say Howdy to everyone and if anyone has any advice, please speak up. Thanks. -Alex

Dec 3, 2009
Oh that's cool.

Yeah I wasn't sure about starting big. My only other hobby is drag racing and I know if a guy starts out with a high horsepower car (like a big tank, i thought), it usually ends up bad. They either wreck it or break it and can't afford the repairs lol.

I'm glad to hear that bigger tanks are more forgiving.

Either of y'all have any comments on the types of fish I'm interested in?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I did go back and read your post again, well your doing FW so no octopus..lol. If you want a pleco look for a species that stays small, I want to say bristlenose plecos stay small but not for sure. I am personally a fan of South and Central American cichlids or Morth American native fish. My recommendation go shopping, get a wish list together then come back and ask about the particular fish you really would like to have in your tank.

Also remember that there are no true "sharks" in the FW category they are catfish or some minnow species, many can become very aggressive and can grow to very large sizes, irredescint (sp?) sharks for example full grown size is measured in feet not inches. the redtailed shark stay about 6 inches but can become extremely aggressive.

One last bit of advice, dont pay attention to the max sizes on the cards under the aquariums in the petsmart and petco fish, these are quite often wrong, and remember they are in the business to sell so they are not always the most knowledgable people. We dont want your money so we will give you the best advice we can based on our personal experiences or knowledge.

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
One last bit of advice, dont pay attention to the max sizes on the cards under the aquariums in the petsmart and petco fish, these are quite often wrong, and remember they are in the business to sell so they are not always the most knowledgable people. We dont want your money so we will give you the best advice we can based on our personal experiences or knowledge.
I completely second Brian!! And welcome :)

Dec 3, 2009
Ok cool. Thanks.

I just found out that a good buddy of mine is very into tanks and fish. I knew he had one, but he kept it in his room and never really talked much about them. He has a handfull of cichlids.

I found a site that someone on this forum made to help you decide how to stock a tank. I've been playing with that. Have y'all used the system? It's AqAdvisor.com