Angelfish Fry Question

Dec 10, 2010
California
It's been a week since my angelfish fry have been free-swimming. I decided to let the parents raise their young and they seem to be taking good care of the babies. Today, I noticed that the female adult is getting fat again and her papilla is starting to point out more. Both adults were cleaning surfaces all over the tank, so it seems as though the mother is ready to spawn again. On a couple of occasions, I swore I saw the father eat one of the fry and the mother seemed furious and started attacking the male. Is this a good time to separate the fry from the parents? I really want the parents to raise their own young, but I sense that the next spawn might cause conflict with my current fry.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
honestly, this will sound harsh, but they are cichlids, south american egg layers to boot. They are going to make more fry then you could ever know what to do with. Some will make it, some will be snacks. Just let well enough be it will work it's self out. If you were separating say 20 fry per month out you will have more then your LFS will ever be able to buy. More then you could ever house. Also removing the babies is a sure way to make them spawn again.