american flagfish

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
anyone know anything about these fish? i heard they're great hair algae eaters. was thinking of getting one.

btw..anyone know where i can get one in the Los Angeles area? I called everywhere and nobody has it.

thanks.

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
IME, the american flagfish is great at keeping the thread algae down... it helped me take control of the algae in my 10g... and now its working on my 6g.

another thing i notice is that it reduces the amount of surface scum greatly... the fish tends to skim the surface of the water.. this would allow more light to be penetrated into the water.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
thanks. looked on aquabid. it's going for 6 dollars rite now. but that's for four fishes. alot more than i was thinking. and shipping is a grip. but maybe. hehe. if i can't find any today or next...thanks!

segadojo,

how many flagfish do you have? i was thinking of getting some for my 29gallon.

also, i read that they can eat some plants. i'm more concerned about my glossostigmas. do they eat those?

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
I only have one flagfish.. i would get one more, but i have a small tank.. and the flagfish is meant just for maintenance.  Be aware a the pair may get aggressive if they choose to spawn.

it seems that the temperament, and whether or not it tears up the plants tends to vary from fish to fish.  I've kept one that is very aggressive toward my fishes and nibbled on my polysperma, but the current one is quite timid and I haven't witnessed her nibbling on any of my plants.