Amano Shrimp and Ramshorn  Snails

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
    Has anyone ever been able to keep ramshorn snails or amano shrimmp successfuly with their discus? My discus are always killing and eating my shrimp- it has turned in to a daily treat. Only one really fat one survived. What about Ram's horn snails? Would there be a parasite problem or a reproducing problem if I just bought a few? I'm just curious about this stuff because I'm getting my plants through mail order and I want to get any of these things before the plants come. Also, in a planted discus tank, is it possible to have too many plants and would it compromise the health of my fish?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
Re: Amano Shrimp and Ramshorn  Snails

what i've noticed is..if it fits in the mouth..it'll probably go into the mouth. =)

i know discus needs higher temperature than most fish. some plants will 'melt' at those temperatures so chose your plants carefully.

D

discusaquarium

very true about the plants arcab, you must choose your plants pretty carefully. what i have noticed is that if you plant your tank and give the discus more hiding spaces, they will hide a lot more. you have to plant pretty carefully when you do, as to not give them very many hiding spots, so they are out all the time. it's been pretty to do. as for the shrimp, instead of buying amano shrimp i bought some larger shrimp called "wood shrimp" they eat the same stuff, they just are larger and are reddish brown. they're cooler in my opinion too. the discus will eat amanos if they fit into their mouthes. ramshorns, i've had a few, they did fine. if you are worried about disease, quarantine them for a while, its better safe than sorry. :)

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

Discusaquarium, I was thinking of putting all of my plants really densly at the corners and having open water at the front and the center of the tank, does this sound good? I want them to have some spots to hide but not too many becuase I want to enjoy the fish, too.

G

geoffgarcia (Guest)

I have the malaysian trumpet snails and my discus don't bother them even though  the snails are smaller than small can be. They are the best since they stay under the gravel cleaning and filtering and I never have to look at them:)
I have to many of them now though-they multiplied from 15 to about 300 in under a month

R

ronrca

Thats why I dont like having snails because they are asexual (I think thats what it is). That means they can produce without having a male and female snail, something similar to some plants.

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002

Just in case, are there any plant safe/discus safe snail killers if I ever have to use it?

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio

[quote author=ronrca link=board=discus&num=995380386&start=0#5 date=07/18/01 at 14:59:31]
Thats why I dont like having snails because they are asexual (I think thats what it is). That means they can produce without having a male and female snail, something similar to some plants.
[/quote]

Yes, that is correct 8)

D

discusaquarium

[quote author=Disco link=board=discus&num=995380386&start=0#3 date=07/17/01 at 15:20:27]
  Discusaquarium, I was thinking of putting all of my plants really densly at the corners and having open water at the front and the center of the tank, does this sound good? I want them to have some spots to hide but not too many becuase I want to enjoy the fish, too.
[/quote]

sounds good to me, i allow some hiding spots, but not too many :) ;D