Am I Crazy?!

Oct 22, 2002
I am thinking about put together a 10 gallons aquarium WITHOUT using air or water pump (I don't like the idea of using machine to create a natural environment). The tank will full of plants and perhaps with one or two bettas (1 male, 1 female). if at all possible, I would like a create a natural environment where I only need to feed the fish daily and change the water once in a week. Is it possible to create a totally natural environment without using pumps?  ??? Is there another way to keep the water clean and oxidized?

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
This setup is possible. But I would use 1M betta and atleast 2-3F bettas so 1F doesn't always get picked on. Load it full of live plants(they act as a natural filter and add O2 to the water), plus bettas are labyrinth fish and perfectly capable of breathing surface air. You will need a lighting system but other than that nothing.

Oct 22, 2002
i won't suggest to have 1 male betta with another female betta(s). male betta is very aggressive.. he would probably kill the other females.. male must be alone.. but female betta r possible to be kept together.. it really depends. because bettas really have their own "personality".. u will understand what i mean when u have them ;D
for more infomation about betta. try this web site www.bettatalk.com thats one of my favorite betta web site. and also http://bettas.hotmusicstars.com 's messageboard  ;D

male betta r fun to keep because u will be able to tell their moods when they r happy or not. they will make bubble nest when they r happy( which is also a sign that he is ready to breed)
and they r VERY ACTIVE! (even more active than my barbs!!!) and they r very smart!
and about the tank setting... avoid to put something that have "shape edge" in it, because betta's tail is soo soft. they will tear their beautiful tail apart. and get ur betta(s) some "caves" to swim around. they love to hide or swim around the plants. get them some aquarium salt too. they love it ;D

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
To get something like that, you need really good plant growth. That means that you need at least 20 watts of light and a source of carbon (Flourish excel by seachem or a co2 system). Then once all the plants get established, they can start consuming detritus as a food source. But you have to have at least 70%of your tank bottom covered with plants to do that.