Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
okay. here are my specs.

29gallon
110watts
co2 - 2 bubbles/sec
ph. 7.0
nitrate: 0

algae problem i'm having is green algae on the side of the tanks. green hair algae growing on my flourite/substrate.

do i need to increase my c02? or do i need to fertilize my tank?

thanks!

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
are you not already fertilizing arcab?

if you're not adding fertilizer, then that may be your problem.  Its given that you're nitrate limited, but its also possible that you're iron, and/or potassium limited... and also lacking the trace elements for healthy plant growth.

What is your kH value? (for measuring CO2 levels)
and what plants are you growing (including any signs of unhealthy growth)?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i have 4 flagfish, 3 ottos and 1 useless cae. heh. and a bunch of amano shrimps.

i don't know my KH value right now. but i have NOT been adding any fertilizer. i have a bottle of flourish. should i use that? when i increased my c02, i did notice a drop in algae but it's still there. i'm afraid that if i increase it, it'll kill the fish. lack of oxygen? the plants are doing great. growing like crazy so they seem to be fine.

what's annoying is the green hair algae growing on my substrate and after that..green algae on the side of the tanks.

help!

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
my suggestions:

if you don't want to buy a kH test kit, bring a sample of water to your LFS to test... IME, most LFS will do it.

from that kH reading and your pH levels, you can measure the CO2 levels... (there should be a chart at www.thekrib.com ).  I think the danger zone is when the CO2 levels reaches around 35 ppm... but you should check the krib for the actual numbers.

also, I would start adding some of the flourish... but also some potassium nitrate to increase the nitrate level (to about 10-20ppm).  But increase it slowly (over a few days) since a rapid increase can kill the fishes.  The potassium wouldn't hurt either.. you can find potassium nitrate at a hydroponics shop...

if your nitrate levels are correct, then i really think the nitrates are your limiting factor.  Meaning your plants aren't using up the phosphates fast enough.. and so the algae is feeding off of it.