Algae Help Please

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have algae everywhere!!! My betta tank 2.5 gallon even has a brown  algae growing on it.. the plastic plant is covered. Any suggestions on how to control it? I took the plant out for now since it was so nasty. I have been leaving the 15 watt bulb on 24/7 for the betta should i be shutting it off at night? is this part of the problem?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I would say that has something to do with it.

I leave my lights on no more than 12.

You will need to either scrape the glass and items of the algae or add a small fish to take care of it.

If you have a heater and a  filter you could try an Otto or two.

If you were to add some real plants, you wouldn't even need a filter if you watch you feedings. You have the light for it.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
??? ummm... I don't know what that "spoopoo e"

is.
I posted it..then saw that, when i went to modify, it said "Scrape"..but it didn't change when i reposted it.

hmmm....I wasn't drinking honest!!..I think I need some sleep.

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
Try some snails in the tank.  Those little brown snails...not sure what the technical name is for them.  They can multiply quickly if you dont keep them in check...but they sure do a great job with the algae.  If you look at the sides of your tank closely (very closely)  you can see the patches of snail eggs....just smoosh them with your finger to keep the population down (then wash your hands!!).  Also make sure you arent over feeding....and monitor the amount of light the tank gets.  GOOD LUCK!  

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Even then the the algae can still beat out the plants, unless you increase your light  an add Co2 for the plants to use more nutrients than the algae...but Co2 isn't really always needed, just helps.