Add A Beta?

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
In my quest to find fish to get along with the ones currently in my tank (2 Mollies, 2 Golden Gouramis, 1 angel fish and 1 Pictus cat, in a 29 gal.) I have discovered that beta's get along with my most agressive fish (gourami's and angel). I always thought that betas were not community fish, were cold water and were 'fin-nippers'. So I have done some research and discovered that betas actually like warm water and do fine in communities. But what about fin-nipping?
Would a beta be a good choice for my tank?

me2

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
i agree with Coyote, putting a betta in that tank would be risky

bettas, gouramis, angels and mollys are all known to have aggressive tendencies so having them all in a 29gallon tank might be a recipe for disaster

maybe in a larger heavily planted/decorated tank with a few schools of peaceful fish added it might work but i dont think a betta would be a good addition to the tank and fish you have now

instead of a betta i'd suggest maybe a small school of larger tetras (lemon, black neon etc) or rasboras

good luck whatever you decide *thumbsups

--liz:)

Mar 11, 2003
Bettas and mollies are fine together, but not with gourmis and angels. Angels are very snippy fish, they pick on each other, and would love to bite a betta. Its not so much the betta that would be the fin nipper, its usually the betta getting nipped! If you go to BettasRUs.com they have a list of compatible fish.