A hole, a hole, a small, black hole.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
One of my gold dust Mollies has a hole in him. It's on his underside below his right gill. In the base of the hole is black. It's small and not very deep, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Swimming normally, acting normally, etc.

I'm not sure how he got it or if it is something to be concerned about. Could he have punctured himself on an ornament? I have a pink plastic coral that could have somehow got him...

Since it's late, I'll just add some medicine to the water (Melafix Antibacterial Fish Remedy - for damaged fins, ulcers and open wounds - promotes regrowth of damaged tissue and fins), then do a water change tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on this situation? Thanks for any input!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
never heard of an issue like that on any fish. i think you are going the right way about it though. i typically just see what happens with fish like that. i'd say the water change and meds is a good way to go though.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Well, I have the test strips that do nitrate, nitrite, hardness, chlorine, alkalinity, and pH, but no ammonia test. I am planning on getting a "master" freshwater liquid test kit that I saw at Petco for about $30 that tests everything.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You have been planning on that test kit for a long time, but the question still is how often do you do your regular water changes? With out a test for ammonia (and I believe you are dealing with a 10g or less tank)

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Looks like I didn't finish my reply - got interrupted and later found it wasn't sent without realizing I hadn't finished, but OC actually finished it for me. lol