A Goldfishy Tanky Matey

Jul 22, 2006
A Series of Questions for Goldfish

Okay, just to be sure, what is the maximum temperature can a Goldfishy tolerate?

Which fishy can be their tanky matey?

Thunder

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2006
Yah, I figured that already. So, stocked to the max at 4 or 5?

For years, I've known that Goldfishies requires at least 5 gallons each, but I've read on here recently of a different rule for Goldfish. I've decided to go with that rule. I do not remember who said that on MFT.

The size of tank - 55.

Gallons Goldfishies

So, the likely max is 4 Goldfishies. Since the tanky is 55, will an extra Goldfish be pushing it slightly or severely for the extra 5 gallons?

Thunder

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2006
Another question on Goldfish. I've read on a site that said Goldfish will be fine w/out a heater, but do better with a heater at a settings of 76-78 F.

True?

Thunder

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Again, it depends on the goldfish. The fancier varieties typically do better with a consistent temperature in the mid 70s -- we're talking pearlscales, ranchu, celestials.... I've kept fantails and telescopes in a pond, one of mine has overwintered in a pond its entire life, ryukin also are pretty hardy and can be kept in a pond or unheated tank.

If you wish to breed them, any goldfish needs a 'winter'.

The fancies (egg shaped, split tailed) can typically be stocked at 20 gallons for one and 10 for any fish thereafter, provided nitrates can be maintained under 20 and with the knowledge that surface area/oxygen exchange is crucial kept well in mind. (a 30 long is better for goldies than a 29, a 90 solely increases gallonage w/o increasing the surface area of a 75....) The single tailed, torpedo shaped ones need more space to do their zoomies. :goldfish:

Jul 22, 2006
Yup. I'm curious, is it okay to use net on them? I've read not to use the net, but hand(s). Specially, it said to take the fish out of the bag with the hand and place into the tank gently. I do not really like touching any fishies. I do easily jump to tiny things. If the Goldfish does something, I might accidently drop (or toss in air) it. The other night, I was adjusting the flow of the UGF and I accidently touched the Dwarf Gouramis and he was scared to death. I felt something really quick moving, I jumped n screamed at 4am! It was embarassing and hopefully the neighbors was sleepin. I thought he was attacking me like a Piranha.

Thunder