a 10gal stomopod nano

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a 45 litre acrylic tank that would be ideal for this - it is made of bullet proof acrylic maybe 7 or 8 mill thick. It was sold to me as an AZOO, they make them in a variety of sizes, and are also sold as Via Aqua I think. Recommendable. Came with a PC luminaire
Filration is live rock + water circulation, maybe by an over sized HOB. I'd just look to the normal sources for info on marine filtration - here, other forums, books. As you won't be keeping fish your bioload should be realtively low so life should be easy.

fishdude07

Superstar Fish
Mar 30, 2004
Michigan
www.freewebs.com
Brie- i know pretty much nothing about SW, but let me just say WOW. that pic is AWESOME. just look at those colors! that is a BEAUTIFUL mantis shrimp...i didnt know they had that much color! i REEEALLY want one now...i NEED one...

in that pic, is that a "honeycomb" pattern i see on the front legs (if those ARE the front legs)? do they normally have that? it looks sweet

Last edited:

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Does anyone have any suggestions on coral? i heard that mushrooms and green star polyps are easiest and would look nice. Anyone have some advice?

oh, if i was to add regular sand (crushed coral or playsand) and a few packs of saltwater biospira would it then become LS? im still rather confused on that whole front (i get LR, just not LS)

Brie

Small Fish
Nov 20, 2004
Seattle, Wa
www.darkwaveexotics.cjb.net
Originally posted by fishdude07
Brie- i know pretty much nothing about SW, but let me just say WOW. that pic is AWESOME. just look at those colors! that is a BEAUTIFUL mantis shrimp...i didnt know they had that much color! i REEEALLY want one now...i NEED one...

in that pic, is that a "honeycomb" pattern i see on the front legs (if those ARE the front legs)? do they normally have that? it looks sweet
I have never had my own salt water set up either. Just do them at work, and my other half has had several 100+gal salt tanks.. I know that the females are the more colorful, and larger of the sexes.. And that that one in the pic was a female. As for the pattern, yes I believe thats normal. hehe

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you define live sand as sand with bacteria, you could buy it as such, or add biospira (not worth i.m.o.) or get some live rock and wait for the bacteria to migrate (what most people do).
If you define live sand as sand with a full range of critturs you won't get those in most bags, or from biospira. But the first is prob. what you require.
Have you read Palettas New Marine Aquarium. That has a very nice balanced setup 'cookbook', plus the desktop setup for beginners is 1st class for you.

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Ok, im cheap....well, at least after 3 tanks i am.....so heres what i think im gonna do:

im gonna get some playsand (would crushed coral be better?) and about 5pounds of LR, and another 5-10lbs of lava rock. ill place the Lava as a base and use the LR on the very top. Ill get a good filtration system running and let the tank cycle over x-mas break (no heater or light to avoid creep). Ill add any coral after i get back.

good idea??

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i wouldnt use lava rock...i would just get some base rock if you decide to not start with all LR...there was a discussion about using lava rock somewhere on here before and it was decided that was a no-no

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
I would be ok having it cycle over Christmas break though?

And if i was to make a burrow for the Mantis out of PVC piping could i spray paint it black without having to worry about chemicals? or should i just find some black PVC?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
getting the cycle going over break will be fine...need to buy test kits to make sure it is done before you add the mantis...you can't really put a time length on the period

there really isnt any reason to make a pvc burrom in my opinion, your rockwork should provide that...if you do decide to, i would get black PVC...paint inside the aquarium is a bad idea

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Day 1: the first steps (from here on out; 56k warning)

Ok folks, the first steps have been made! We've ordered the tank offline; a 8gal arcylic cube (16x16x8). We stopped by the lfs today and picked up some crushed coral and some Lace rock, and talked to the owner about putting in an order for a mantis. He was unsure of the sc. name, from the sound of things it was an N. Wennerae.

i got excited so i decided to take pics of what i got:

about 8lbs of Lace rock, and about the same amount of crushed coral. All in all it was about a $20 purchase (including 20ghost shrimp i got for my puffers). The tank was $25dollars plus 12 for a hood or something. Shipping was about 10. Budget so far: ~$65

The diary shall continue as the tank progresses

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Day 2: Things are moving along faster than i thought

Well, all I can say is "weeeeee", things are moving along a bit faster than i thought.

I got a generous donation from a dorm-mate who lives downstairs and is setting up his own SW tank (fowlr i believe). So today i got a 10gal tank and all the stuff i need for it: HOB filter, light fixture, tank hood, marine salt, hydrometer, all the necessary additives for corals and some pH buffer. The best part, as noted above, is that its all FREE. So i cleaned out the sand, washed off the Lace rock, dissolved the salt and set up the aquarium tonight. The water is still cloudy, as expected, but ill post some new pics as it clears up. I cut the online order and got the money back.

Savings: ~$60 :D

here is the tank as im setting it up:

the tank, still cloudy (you can see my hand!):

a close up of a cool rock with lots of holes and stuff:

Last edited: