30 gallon FOWLR help

Jun 27, 2012
Hey I'm pretty much new to saltwater aquariums (I had one for about 2 years but had to leave it behind when I moved) and I am not sure how much fish I would be able to keep in a 30g tank. I have done my research on what species I would like in the tank and what they are compatible with (I plan on majoring in maine biology so I've made sure the fish are all from the same region and are for the most part compatile with the other fish and inverts I plan on having). Anway my question is how many fish can my tank house and how many inverts. Here is a list of species I have looked at and would like to add to my tank also any tips/suggestions would be appreciated:
FISH
Ocellarius Clown
Firefish
Six line wrasse
Orange lined cardinalfish
blue/green reef chromis

inverts
scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
electric blue hermit crab
blue tux urchin
marble seastar
banded trochus snail
porcelain anemone crab

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
That all looks good. I would start out with the first three on your fish list first and you could do the whole invert list. Of course you would want to add these kind of slow and not all at once. Once these fish and our tank has settled in you will now if your tank could handle more of a bio load. I would also skip the 6 line and get a flasher due to the 6 line can get aggressive. Also the chromis need to be in a group of three to keep the aggression down so this might be a little tight in a 30G. The cardinals would be good and are a nice fish to have. Goby's also make a nice addition as well. If getting clowns I feel that a pair seem to be happier then a single so be sure to get them from the same tank and at the same time, Just my opinion on clowns.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I forgot the invert numbers. The hermits can be many, like 10-30 of them. Cleaner shrimp is fine with a couple or more if you wish. The seastar is something I would skip until the tank is well established. You could do a handful or two of snails. An urchin would be good to and a crab or two would be fine. Just be sure to add livestock slowly so your tank does not go into a mini cycle and wipe out the tank.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
My old 125g tank I had bought 3 of the regular Fire Fish, they kiiled each other till I was down to one. Do the Purple Fire Fish do the same thing?