3 New Koi for Iggy!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi!

Well, since I got my 220 gallon tank in my basement for my winter goldfish tank, I had a little room to spare.

I put-out an Ad in the local bargain finder magazine, offering a good home for pond fish. I figured I would get a couple calls, because in Northern Alberta, Canada, our ponds under 3' deep freeze solid and lots of LFS get tons of goldfish and Koi back from owners who did not plan far enough ahead.

Well, in my case, the owner was moving and had to find a good home for his 3 Koi. One is orange/white and is 8". The other is 10" long and is an irridescent butterfly white (gorgeous). The largest is 12" and is orange/black and white.

They are hanging out with my 8 goldies in my pond for now while I complete the filtration on my 220 tank.

Oh, he also give me a large net, 4'x4'x1' rubbermaid holding tank with grate cover, a 1/2 cut wine barrel, and a 1500 Gph pump!

Overall, $380.00 in fish and supplies all for a $1.00 investment and about $40.00 in gas to pich them up!

I will post pictures soon.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Finally got some pictures... not all that perfect, but its a start.

At the bottom of the tank, you can see my 2 sump system. The clear rubbermaid on the left is the collection bin from the overflows, where a 1500 gph pump returns the water to the tank.

The second sump on the right-bottom is my external pond filter. It has a huge bio-filter system. A 325 gph pump circulates water from the sump to the bio-filter system and then it overflows back into the sump.

Eventually, the corner filters I created inside the main tank will take-over the bio-filtration, but for now it am running both.

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
The white one in the bottom left is Patty, a softball-sized fantail.

The silver/white one in the back is a butterfly Koi - I called him Mercury
The orange/black/white one is about 12" long - called Trio.
The orange/white one bottom-left is the smallest at 8" but grumpy - I call him Striker.

There are another 4 adult comets, 8 small feeder-sized comets, 2 Moores, and 2 Fantails all together.