25 Gallon Community

davros

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is my fist tank. It has been set up since december and I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

Here are the specs.

25 gallon Black Seal Aquarium
Eclipse 2 Filter/Hood
VisiTherm Deluxe Heater
2 Pieces Rainbow Rock (although not very rainbowed)
1 Plastic Root Thing

Current Fish Include
2 Dalmation Sailfin Mollies
5 Sunset Wagtail Platies
3 Peppered Corys
2 Laetacara curviceps

Plants Include
Aponogeton Ulvaceous (sp?)
Anubias Nana
Anacharis
Banana Plant
Ludwigia repens

Hope you all like it!

Attachments

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Nice, i like the natural look. Heh im a big fan of natural looking tanks.

Do you plan to add anymore fish?

- depthC

davros

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Hey thanks guys.

As for more fish, I've got a small five gallon tank that has a bunch of Sunset Wagtail Platy fry in it. when they're big enough, I'll put some back in the big tank and sell the rest. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else is going in there. There's so many cool fish, its hard to decide. Mabey an Angel next.

I need more tanks already!

Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
That's a very nice tank. I like that branch thingy. I think it has a little too much symmetry though. Try and spread things out, so that they look like what they would naturally. You dont have to do it but that's what i would do.

Jordan

davros

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
"I think it has a little too much symmetry though"

Yes, I've been sorta thinkin' the same thing. I was thinking of taking the smaller rainbow rock out and putting it in my smaller tank. Then I could spread things out and mabey make room for some more plants.

Thanks for the input.

davros

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
The thing in the middle is a big plastic root thing that I got at Petsmart. They had a good variety of different sizes shapes and colors. The hole you can see at the top goes all the way through to the bottom and my fish seem to really like swimming through it.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
that is sharp.real nice.wish my first tank looked that good.c.a.c. was right about the symmetry,but i have to force my self from doing the same thing.how well does your anacharis grow under that light.i have an bad time growing plants.you have like every one of the first plants that i tried except that yours look good.

davros

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Thanks Catfishmike,

That picture was taken just after I planted the anacharis. Since then, about half of the strands are still the same size and the other half have nearly doubled in length. The old original leaves arn't looking too hot now, but the new growth seems fine, a little smaller in diameter though. But it won't stay planted. It keeps floating up and there are no signs of any roots growing. Does Anacharis grow roots when planted?

As for everything else, the Aponogeton Ulvaceous grows great, sends up new leaves and flowers all the time. The Ludwigia Repens is doing very well, just not really red anymore. The Anubias Nana is doing well and the Banana Plant seems ok. I'm not sure what the grassy stuff at the bottom is. Micro Sword mabye. It tries to grow, bt can't seem to root in my gravel so the new shoots just keep floating up to the top. It also gets lots of algae on it. Think I'm gonna pull that stuff out and try something else.

Last edited:

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
not sure if anacharis roots when planted,i figure it would even if it doesn't feed from the roots as most plants do send out roots of one form or another.where i work we never plant it.most people just buy it as fish food.it maty not have roots because i have never seen any personaly.it does good as a floating plant

davros

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Thanks Hockeygrrl,

I think you should post your tank. It's not a contest and mabey you would get some good feedback or ideas and mabey your tank will inspire someone else. I wish everyone would post pics of their tank 'cause I love lookin' at 'em!