20 gallons setup

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
What all do I need to start up a 20 gallon nano? Can I use the filter that came with the tank or do I have to buy a certain kind? The filter that came with the tank I think is one for freshwater (topfin).

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I am still learning about saltwater, and my Nano. But i can tell you what's working for me, keep in mind mine is a 10g so you might need to double on things like, powerheads, lb's of liverock and substrate.

aquaclear filter hang on back kind, without the carbon in it....just your everyday freshwater filter, it's more to move water than anything, that and trap larger stuff.

single powerhead, a 200 i think? moves the water enough in mine, you might think about getting two of these...not a single 400.

10lbs of crushed coral, you can use whatever substrate you want but coral has high buffering capabilities, a lot of people like sand too. you'd probably need arouns 20lb, depending on the dimensions of your tank.

10lbs of live rock, it's approximately a pound per gallon. But this is your only source of filtration, so more the merrier (within reason)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you want to be turning your water over 10-15x (200gph to 300gph) minimum every hour and your filter can be used to help with that but running media in it is generally not a good plan

a skimmer would also be a good addition

as dustinkeating says, LR provides your biological filtration

LR runs anywhere from $5-$10 a pound so it is fairly expensive but it also the key component to a successful and healthy system