15 gallon setup

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
its been ten days i started my saltwater tank i have 15 pounds of live rock i got from my friend he had it for 6 monts nice color on them green red brown anyway im using 20 pounds of arginate sand acuclear 50 with chemipure elite and a korilla power head and one damsel fish to cycle the water and im using cycle as well question is what kind of lighting should i use wanted to add polops and mushrooms and do i need a protien skimmer as well

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I run the 18,000K bulbs on my tanks, the corals seem to be doing just fine with them. I use two bulbs each on both of my 10G nano tanks. You do not really need a skimmer on this size tank. I use the Algae Turf Scrubber type filter. See thread here: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/sal...phosphate-remover-diy.html?highlight=scrubber . After years of the Saltwater roller coaster I decided to go against my better judgement and build one of these controversial SW filters. I figured I had most of the stuff laying around anyway so I would not have much invested. This is now the only filter I run on my SW tanks, I have more then one thousand dollars of reactors, skimmers, canisters, and refugiums in my shed because this simple little ATS just plain WORKS!!!!!! Who would have thought that algae would do so much!!! Now that I think about the how and why it makes perfect sense. The ocean does not use filters, skimmers, or reactors it uses algae to process the nutrients in the water. This was the best thing I have ever done for my SW tanks, the water stays pristine, the nutrients are always zero to barely detectable, and this ATS filter makes SW just as easy as Freshwater if not easier seeing that I water change my FW much more then the SW now.

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
haha free plug for santa monica! But seriously, i've heard a lot of success from ATS. skimmer is not necessary on a tank that small, and if it was me I would look into LEDs for lighting. for a tank that small you can get a nice fixture that isn't rediculously priced (still kinda expensive though). If not LEDs then definitly go with T5s.