10gal shell dwellers

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
We don't see too many non-planted, cichlid tanks in here so I figure I would throw mine into the mix...sometime I'll get a better camera and shoot some nice ones of the 29gal planted also...

First, the specs:

Aquarium: 10gal
Filtration: Penguin BIO-Wheel Mini
Heater: Marineland 50watt Visitherm Submersable Heater
Substrate: Crushed Coral Grain 1 (1.5 to 2in deep)
Temperature: 78f
pH: 8.3
Habitat: Hoemmade rock caves; 6 Neothauma shells
Stock: Three Neolamprologus similis (1 male, 2 female) (F0)

And now, the pics:

this is the basic overview of the habitat...want to replace the blue bg with black, but we shall see if i get to it

these are all of the females...the male seems to be more timid at first...though he is quite a bit larger...the fish are really only about 1in (females) to 1.5in (males)long

hope it is appreciated by you all, but if not, oh well...I like it :)

Kevin

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Amy: you can order online...I reccomend www.neptuneaquatics.com...Darrell, the owner, is very helpful and knowledgeable...he doesn't have a miniumum order so it isn't like you have to buy a lot either which was good for me

Angelfish: they do hide in the shells...pretty much their life revolves around the shells...the male establishes his territory to include a group of shells in which his harem of females live...they all have their own shell. When startled they either hide in the shells or the rock caves...mine seem to prefer the caves doe now...but they sleep in the shells, and if they breed they will store the eggs in the shells...they are really quite interesting to watch...

I have heard rumors that it is possible to keep a pair of dwarf synodontis in with these guys, even a tank as small as mine, but I don't think I will be doing that

Kevin

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
hi weatherman...

I dont really know...I collected them at my grandfathers farm in central California (Bakersfield area (Porterville to be exact)...they are more grey-blue than black...the camera darkened the picture up quite a bit...sorry I can't be more helpful

Kevin