10 gallon nano for christmas..

Sep 21, 2004
Grand Blanc, MI
Visit site
I saw a nano cube at my lfs today, and it has a 12 gallon cube tank, proper saltwater lighting, filter (bio balls included) , heater, hydrometer, and 20 lb. salt, all that for $160.00 . Is that a good deal? I may just buy 10 lbs. of live rock, $30 worth of coral and $30 worth of fish.I will get it for a christmas present, if you guys think it is worth it..

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i think thats a pretty good price. $30 worth of coral and $30 worth of fish is going to get you one fish and one coral

and a new headache...because i still don't think you understand what all is involved in this...perhaps im wrong though, i hope so

Kyle

Large Fish
Aug 5, 2004
My House
If I was you I would get the tank established with live rock for a while before buying fish or coral. You have to take it slow. There is alot more involved in saltwater than freshwater so make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
c-man, those were probably ricordia...unless there were a bajillion shrooms on there

first off, there is no reason to cycle with fish, and im not even going to get into the flawed judgment of "i'm going to cycle for 2 months"

anemones are one of the most difficult sw animals to keep, not ideal for a nano, especially one as small as you speak of, and a terrible choice for a beginner...brain corals and bubble corals are decent choices for a begginer but the bubble can be problematic in a nano because of its sweeper tentacles, the long reach often stings its neighbors

sponges are, again, a poor choice for a begginer...

i implore you to go do some research before you start wasting money and killing animals, its just plain irresponsible. clearly you have no idea what is involved in maintaining a SW tank and you are utterly unprepared to stock it appropriately...its like having a child for the fun of it, just a bad idea

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
Originally posted by 1979camaro
im not even going to get into the flawed judgment of "i'm going to cycle for 2 months"
I will pick up where Camaro left off....

In general (for FW and SW), I don't think that cycling should not be described as a two month period that starts and finishes (especially for SW). "Cycling" is a continuous process that still occurs in well established tanks even after years of operation. Although, many people often misinterpret the process as a two month period and then you're ready to rock and roll. While you are able to add creatures after the two month "cycle" period, it is unwise to think that your tank is well established and stablized at this point (especially for SW).

Now, I have no experience what-so-ever with SW tanks. However, I have read SW for Dummies and many articles on the internet (reefcentral.com is a very good source), as well as the threads on MFT. During my research, it has become quite evident to me that you cannot "plug and play" (to steal a quite appropriate phrase from Camaro or S. Reef) with SW as you can with FW. One thing I have taken from my research is that bad things happen fast in the SW world. So, to think that you can just go out and purchase some fish/coral/anemones (or whatever) and throw them in the tank, could lead to bad things happening fast.

IMO, SW tanks take a lot of time, patience, and good planning in order to be successful. Very much unlike FW, where I could decide to get into African Cichlids tomorrow and have a tank up and running by this weekend after some rearranging. (Just making a point, folks. I would never really do that.... ;))

Good luck!!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If I was you I'd get set up, put in 10 pounds of live rock and a couple of clowns and stick with tht for 6 months before you try getting fancy.