10 gallon freshwater tank

Robyn

New Fish
Nov 20, 2016
I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank with 3 male guppies. I recently added 2 platies that I believe are female. One of the guppies is following another guppy around like crazy. The people at the pet store told me to add other fish to take the pressure off of the other guppies, which is why I added the platies. Can I add more fish to the tank? If so, what would you suggest? I would like to add a catfish.

Any info would be appreciated. I'm new to this.

Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Robyn, welcome.

Those 5 fish are about all I'd put in a 10g. From what I've experienced, guppys tend to pester each other. About the only way to *maybe* reduce it is get 3 females to every 1 male, but then you'll have to contend with baby guppies, which will be way too much bio load for a 10g tank. I'd keep what you got and try to break-up lines of sight with plants or decor in the tank. Keep up on your weekly water changes as well. I never do less than a 50% water change weekly on my tanks.

Robyn

New Fish
Nov 20, 2016
Thanks for the response. I don't want lots of babies, so I think I'll stay away from female guppies. I was hoping that adding the platies would help, but maybe I should have added more guppies? I'm just not sure.