What do gourami eggs look like?:confused:

Aug 4, 2006
I have a pair of gourami's and I think I have eggs and thier on the plant the male is acting aggresive but I want to make sure.And what will happen if I leave the female in?

1. 10 gallon tank
  2. one '8 'inch angel
  3. 2 dwarf goramis
  4. 3 glass tetras
  5. 1 neon tetra

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Gouramis are bubble nest builders, so I highly doubt the eggs belong to them. Altho anything is possible I guess. You should be able to tell if they belong to the gouramis as fish will normally tend to their eggs. Is the gouramis messing with them at all?

Do you have snails? If so it is very possible that they are snail eggs. You could also look at your large angel. Angels will lay on leaves, and if your big guy is a she it's not unheard of for them to lay eggs without a partner in the tank.

Lorazoo

Medium Fish
Jun 18, 2006
First, i think your tank has way too many fish in it. But, the eggs could be from the Angel who lays them on polant material. An angel fish really needs a minimum of 30 gallons when grown. And if ytou want to breed the gouyramis you need to have them in a 10 gallon all to themselves.

Lorazoo said:
First, i think your tank has way too many fish in it. But, the eggs could be from the Angel who lays them on polant material. An angel fish really needs a minimum of 30 gallons when grown. And if ytou want to breed the gouyramis you need to have them in a 10 gallon all to themselves.
Be easy on wolvenblue, (he or she) is probably a newbie, and the gouramis dont need a 10 gallon alone but is preferred.

If the eggs are like little dots within a jelly ish looking coating, it is most likely snail eggs, just ordinary pond snails if you dont have any other kinds.
Are you sure you have a pair? is one grey and the other colorful? I have heard from my localfishstore(LFS) that females are hard to come along.
But in the case it is not snail eggs, im fairly sure that your angel was just puttin out eggs for the fun of it, if you will.

I also hate to break it to you, but your ten gallon is overstocked. the general rule is one inch of fish per gallon. For more info, check out the stickies in the Beginner section, really a world of help when i first started. Good luck if they are eggs!

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
first of all, you are one lucky dude or dudette. the # of babies is impossible to justify however, there might be about 30 eggs. plus, when they hatch some WILL get eaten. If adequately guarded and fed about 10-15 will survive (if youre lucky). They will be small and vulnerable, but are usually guarded well by parents. once again. you're lucky and i envy you. (for more info, try googling it like; *dwarf gourami breeding*)

Lorazoo

Medium Fish
Jun 18, 2006
wolven_fish13 said:
If my angel is in to small of a tank then why has she survide in it for 8 years and she's never gotten sick?
luck? havent heard of too many angels living 8 years? and she is eight inches? she is almost the height of the tank. that doesnt sound very nice to me. sounds like someone isnt telling the truth somewhere.

i have an angel who i have had 4 years and is very large. she would have eaten that neon tetra in a heartbeat and never would have put up with the gouramis either. i had her in a 10 gallon for a couple of weeks while i was setting up her 40 gallon and could never have done that for good, she could barely swim in there. you can look up angels anywhere and the recommended tank size is 20 gallons at least.

To me, crowding so many fish in a small tank is just as cruel as tying up a dog to a tree where it cant move around. the only difference is that we have laws to protect the dogs.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i would expect all of the fry to be consumed either by the tetras or the angle

and a 8" angel in a 10 gallon, wow do you have a pic? my angel is about half that size and i doubt it would fit in my 10 gallon(it is a lyre tho :p )

btw- pure you jump on my case about overstalking a tank that i havnt even over stocked yet, but you say nothing about this tank????

Aug 4, 2006
Okay my angle probly isn't THAT big but I don't know to measure her.Actully I don't even know if it's a her.But my fish are very healthy and I would find my angel a new tank but we I can't afford it.And my mom won't let me give her away to anther tank!Lorazoo please lay of.I'm doing the best I can with my fish and there is absolutly no need to critazise please.And the angel hasn't even tooken an intrest to the eggs.The tetras don't bother the gourami eggs either.She used to live with a big upside down catfish.We had just found out that he need a sandy bottem because he's a digger.We had to clean the tank and he got sick and stressed out over that.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
wolven_fish13 said:
The tetras don't bother the gourami eggs either.
It isn't the eggs the angel and tetras are going to eat it is the free swimming babies it will eat. I know because I had tetras in with my angels and they would eat the babies as they were swimming around. Now it is just the parents that eat them.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Angelmom was only tring to help, not to criticize I assure you.

And to everyone else please play nice. If you've got something to say to someone take it to PM and leave it off the boards.

-Your friendly neighborhood Moderator ;)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Basically what Angelmom is saying is that if you are planning on keeping the babies alive then the best thing to do is to move the other fish into another tank until the babies hatch. I think then it would not be a problem to move the babies out into their own tank. This way they have a better chance at living. All fish a preditors to a baby fish. We are just trying to help.

If you cant get another tank then the best thing I geuss is to keep your eye on the babies and as soon as they hatch then you need to net them and put them into a breeder net. The only problem that I see with this is that your tank is over stocked and adding this breeder will decrease the room your fish have.