What are good fish combinations for a 10 gallon?

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
I have added a Dwarf Gourami (the guy at the pet store said it was a neon gourami) and a small pleco (1.5 inches). I KNOW the pleco will out grow and when it happens he's going to my brothers 29 gallon probably (but how long before he grows?).

Now am I thinking about what I need to finish the tank off. I need a scavenger. Scavengers include loaches, cories, and certain sharks and whatever else I didnt mention. I can't work out what I want. The blue rams are also appealing but I am probably not ready for that difficult of a fish yet, nor is my water perfect enough (pH of around 8.0). Any ideas on how I should top it off?

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
Originally posted by Ripnhammer
ooo great ideas, i'm always wondering what type of fish to get
right now i just have 5 cardinal tetras in it, but i wanted to get a few more fish. how heavy are corys and otos on the biology of the tank
would this be overstocking a 10g?
5 cardinal tetras
2 dwarf gouramis or 2 kribs
3 oto cats
3 corys
Kribs are colorful fish to have, especially the females, but for a 10gallon I recommend only a single fish. I say this because you risk them pairing up and trying to have kids or having one chase the other in the tank. You might be better off with an apisto of the cacatuoides or borelli variety. They are 2 of the more hardy and less demanding of apistos. Of course you could always go the route I went and get 12 *crazysmil !!! blue rams. YIKES!!!

Actually I am just kidding. Don't get 12 rams.

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
Here the idea I have now:

Currently I have:
3 Zebra Danios
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Common Pleco (which I'll remove when it out grows the tank and probably get an oto or 2)

I am thinking about adding:
2 Cories
2-3 Cuming Barbs or Black Ruby Barbs

Could someone give me their thoughts on this?

ginai

Small Fish
Apr 14, 2004
Platies are poo pooers! they make for lots of poo- dirty fish.

and the ones I had would seemingly have babies every other day!

and is it pot bellied? or baloon something? I forget the name, but they are soooooo mean and aggressive!

Cories are sweet, peaceful, and are so much fun to look at-

Do cories and guppies get along?

I have a 20 Gal with cories, and an otto- was thining of getting some guppies- but if they are anything like the platies, forget it.

-ginai