water conditions

Jan 23, 2005
Oshawa, Ontario
Visit site
Hi there I have a 20gl and a 10gl and have recently had some issues with water conditions. for some reason the last month or so the alkalinity is low. The water conditions have always been fine before and I have never had to do anything but condition the water for water changes. The 10 gl is for fry (swords) and the 20 is for the adults. The nitrates have gone up slightly as well. What could cause this and what should I do? I should add that we have a water softener in our house but I use the filtered drinking water for water changes.

trouthead

Superstar Fish
May 4, 2004
United Kingdom
Visit site
Welcome to the tank :)

Unless your are getting dramatic swings in your pH I wouldn't worry about it. (maybe you have added some driftwood etc.)

Nitrates are the final product of the nitrogen cycle and are in the main removed through water changes. A nitrates reading of less 30 ppm is not of concern.

Perhaps the parameters of your tapwater have changed of late.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
One thing you might do, just for information ... is to test the water you use for water changes. This will give you some baseline info. Trout is right ... the fish will adapt to most conditions if there are no dramatic pH swings.

Jan 23, 2005
Oshawa, Ontario
Visit site
I checked and the tap water does is low alkaline so I guess that is the cause of the change. I always vac the gravel with a water change which I do every 3 weeks with the 20 g and about every 4 days with the 10g and 2.5g ( to keep good water conditions for the fry). The ph has been fine and since the fish are fine and the swords continue to multiply I think everytihing will be fine. Thanks for the input.