Pregnant Platy not giving birth?

Aug 4, 2005
Hi. I thought I'd put a post here in case someone has personal experience with this sort of thing. My have a female blue platy has been pregnant for quite a while- in fact, since I got her close to a month ago. About 2 weeks ago, it appeared that she was really growing with the fry inside her, and I decided to move her to a "planted" breeding net. She has not yet given birth! Every day it looks like she couldn't possibly get any bigger, and yet, no babies! And I know it's not a misdiagnosed case of dropsy or something- she has a gravid spot the size of her head. I was wondering if anyone could give some informed advice, because I feel badly about keeping her in the confined breeder for such an extended period, but I don't want to risk losing all the little fry.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Breeding nets have a tendency to cause undue stress on the mother, so this could be one reason why she is taking longer than expected to give birth to her fry. I would recommend that you put her into the tank, and make more hiding places for the fry to hide.
Also, platies' gestation period is around 30-43 days, so she still has time. There are a few ways you can tell that she is going to give birth. You can see what appears to be something of a white color sticking out of her vent, this would be the first fry. Also, you may see her searching for a proper place for her to drop her fry. Some females that are preparing to drop fry may even start acting oddly, such as staying near the bottom, almost as if she is laying on the gravel. If she is doing this, it could be just a few hours until she drops her fry. :)

Hope this helps a little!!

Aug 4, 2005
Ok, thanks for the info. I would definitely be okay with transferring her back to the main tank, except for 2 circumstances that currently exist in it; (A), the male blue platy is unusually persistent and aggressive with females, and whenever the female blue is around, he will chase her almost exclusively, ignoring the other females in the aquarium. And (B), I am using a power filter, which I am worried will suck up the fry before they have a chance. Or will they stand a chance after all, since I have provided quite a few hiding spaces such as a large cave and 4 real/artificial plants? It is a 29 gallon, by the way. Any ideas for how to get around the 2 problems I just mentioned?

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
With the power filter, just find somebody's panty hose, cut the the amount needed to cover the intake, and place it over it. :) So you do have other female platies? Male platies are so inconsiderate, aren't they? Unless you have a spare tank, I would still keep her in the main tank. Also, if you plan on putting the babies in a breeder's net, be aware that it could cause their growths to stunt, so try not to keep them in there for too long! :)