Pothos plant in aquarium

Nov 7, 2016
I have read many articles about Pothos plants in an aquarium and I'm confused. Some say plant the plant in the gravel but the leaves will eventually rot. Others say let the plant float and again in time time the leaves will rot. Others say just put the roots in the water but not the leaves. If doing this the roots will grow quite long and spread. With this thought the plant can't be planted on the bottom because if the leaves are exposed to the water they will eventually rot and die. Right information please?

Also, many fish like cucumber.......pleco and goldfish love it. Slice the end off then cut a thin round slice. Use a rock and rubber band to hold the slice on the bottom. It won't last a day. I have Glofish too but since I haven't put this treat in the aquarium yet so I don't know if they'll like it too.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i remember a friend who did this..had the roots below the water line where it just rooted and the leaves just stayed above the water line (or floated) and eventually grew out of the tank. i think leaves and roots will all eventually rot as they get older so just like any aquarium plants, routine maintenance will be required.

agreed on the cucumber...i just had to remember to remove any leftovers they didn't finish or it'd pollute the tank.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've got pothos in two of my tanks. Top tank is my oscar and severum 75g and the bottom is my goldfish 55g. The top I've got the roots in a large marina breeder box that uses air bubbles to circulate water through it like a HOB filter. On the bottom tank, I just have the roots sitting in a small plastic storage tray that has slots/holes in it and the tray is clipped to the back of the tank, in the water. The key is to clean the dirt of the roots real well when you first buy the plant, then trim the roots way back. Reason being is, the plant has to transform itself from having terrestrial roots to aquatic roots.