Plants for a new 90 Gallon Fish tank

Feb 17, 2003
california 626 area
Visit site
I recently bought a 90 gallon fish tank. what type of plants should i put in there. about how many? i dont know much about fish tanks yet. but i want to make it look nice. any suggestions on cheap freshwater plants?

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
We need to know more about the tank to give you a better answer. What are you going to use for a substrate? What kind of lighting, and how strong? What fish? What's the temperature going to be? Were you planning on doing CO2?

Because a 90 gallon is 24" high, you really need to consider more lighting than just a regular fluorescent lighting. If you can't do this, I would expect only low light plants such as anubias species, crypt species, java moss, and java fern. There are others, but this is what I am most familiar.

Also, to stock a 90 gallon tank with plants, you will spend some money. Some plants cost a lot more than many fish species do. Let us know exactly what you had in mind, and we can give better answers.

Feb 17, 2003
california 626 area
Visit site
wow. great feed back from the both of you. i cant believe how nice some people are on here. well thanks a lot. ill take into consideration all the advice given. No i do not plan on doin Co2.

The Light i got from the fish store was about 4 feet long. it's very very strong. the dimensions of the 90 gallon fish tank are about 48x32 or visa versa, however you want to call it. I am running a Millenium 3000 Filter With No heat or co2. is a heater mandatory? can i do without it? I plan to just put some colorful fish in there. nothing too expensive/extreme but still, very nice looking. As for the plants, I wouldn't mind those live plants, but as p-lvp pointed out, and everyone else, i should stick with the "low maintenance" live plants and nice fake plants.

By the way, what kind of fish are easy to maintain? i want to have a balance of plants and fish. I don't want too many fish in the tank either. just the perfect amount. all you experts, haha. what looks good and what doesn't? can someone show me some pictures of 80 or 90+ gallon decked out fish tanks. I want to see what is considered nice and what not. Thanks

a heater is a must for tropical fish, you want the temperature to stay as constant as possible.. mine is always at 26 degrees celcius and i never have to touch the heater, they are pretty cheap as well, but to heat a 90 gallon you might have to spend more for a more powerful heater or get 2.

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Partialy correct! However, the fish is depend on the temperature in actual fact as fish are cold blooded therefore require heat from their environment. Although, temperature is not really a big issue, consistant temperature is one of the most important factors you can give your fish along with ph. Therefore if your temp is 72 or 75 or 77, it does not matter. What really matters if your temp stays at 72 or 75 or 77! The same for plants except they are not as 'fussy' as fish!

The type of plants you get are depend on your tank setup like particularly lighting! On average, 2Watts/g is a good start allowing you to grow low to medium light plants. I would recommend starting with as mnay low lighting plants as you can get in your plant. If you do not, algae will out compete your plants for nutrients and will have algae problems.

Feb 17, 2003
california 626 area
Visit site
what would be considered low to medium light plants? can you give me some names? i remember p-lvp mentioned

"Java ferns, anubias, Java moss, microswords, and Vallisneria spiralis (corkscrew Val)."

are these low and medium lighted plants? any other suggestions?

how much do these plants usually cost about? i don't want to get ripped off on the plants.

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
Unless you want a tank full of algae (you'll get that without trying, anyways) you should have your tank light on 8-10 hours a day. You can get a cheap timer from the hardware store to do this for you. As far as plants go, the Anubias species will probably be the most expensive. I pay around $6 for a small plant, and I've seen much larger ones for from $20. They are slow growing, hardy plants that are nearly impossible to kill. Very low maintainence. Java moss and ferns go for around $2 a clump, with some of the fancier and larger ones more. I've never bought the others, but I've heard that microswords aren't the easiest to keep. YMMV, but with a deeper tank, I would be worried about them.