Nitrate levels!!!!!!!

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I have a Clown Cichlid who goes to the middle of the tank and kinda shimmies back and forth.  I did all my tests and the only thing is my nitrate levels are a little high, is this the cause of the fish's eratic behavior?  If so, how do I lower the nitrate level  in my tank.  I do a 10 to 15 percent water change on a weekly basis.  Does anyone have any ideas for me?  Please help, I dont want to loose this fish.  All the other fish are fine jsut this one is acting strange.  All ideas for helping me lower this nitrate level would be appreciated.  Thanks
Doug

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the help.  I condition all my water so I think that is not the problem.  I have an Emperor 280, I will keep up with the water changes and let you know how the fish is doing

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
First of all, could it be your tap water? If you have high nitrates in your tap water already, water changes wouldn't help,
If it isn't the tap water, the only thing I can think of Doug is to keep doing frequent water changes until you get the level down.

Let us know how your Clown Cichlid is doing, keep  us posted.

Jan

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Could you just test the nitrate level of your tap water??  I don't think typical water conditioners affect nitrates, just chloramine and chlorine. Better to test the tapwater and be sure that isn't it than to keep doing water changes that are just going to add to the problem.  I'm probably wrong but it would be better to know.

Thanks,
Jan