New 29

PugRN

New Fish
May 14, 2016
Hey everyone,

In the 80's and 90's. I used to have fish, but haven't since then.

Around Christmastime, I got my son a betta, and he is happily residing in his 3 gallon aquarium (with filter).

Initially, I went to PetSmart today with the intention of getting a slightly bigger tank to house him in.

However, they were having a really good deal on tanks, and I managed to get a full 29 gallon kit plus a clearance stand for about $200!

This is obviously overkill for 1 male betta, so I am planning on keeping him in his current home and setting up a community tank with the 29.

Things have changed so much in all that time!

What are some good fish to start with? I have at least a week, since I am setting it up and cycling it for at least a week first.

I know I want some algae eaters, but I get stumped from there.

Thanks in advance.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Depends on what you like (and/or what your son likes). I like to pick out a "must-have" fish and then build my stocking list from there based on compatibility. If you're cycling the tank ahead of time - really cycling, with ammonia, not setting up and letting it run fallow - you can stock with whatever you like as soon as the cycle is complete. Ideally, most algae eaters actually do best in a tank that is a little more established so there is available algae to graze.

Personally, I like the personalities of gouramis, and they are large enough that one makes a nice centerpiece in a 29g. Cory cats are super cute for bottom feeders, or smaller loaches. A single school of fish is more ideal than a smattering of individual schooling fish. There are lots of options, depending on your preference and availability - tetras, danios, smaller rainbows (I love dwarf praecox rainbows), some barbs, etc. For algae eaters, steer away from common plecos - they get huge - and aim for either otocinclus catfish (once the tank is established), bristlenose pleco (stays smaller than common), snails, etc.

Just make sure to research whatever fish you're looking at before bringing it home - there are a shocking number of fish totally inappropriate to a "normal" aquarium that are readily available.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
otto cats are great. small but are pretty cool in that size tank.
cory cats like capslock recommends would be great for bottom section of your tank.
school of tetras are always my favorite.
and would stay away from those 'neon' injected fishes that i've been seeing at petsmart lately.