Neon Tetra Disease...how do I clear my tank?

Medic6666

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
London, UK
Before adding more fish.

Should I just remove all the water and refill or do I need to dump all filter media and start all over again?

Will proberly not add neons this time. Does this disease affect any other fish or just neons?

Cheers

Medic6666

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Say it with me....
"Google is my friend... Google is my friend... Google is my friend... "

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Neon+Tetra+Disease

Neon tetra disease (NTD) can affect other fish especially small tetras. It seems that no fish is really immune, although, oddly enough, Cardinal Tetras seem to be somewhat resistant to it.

Depending on what other fish you have would help determine what to do with the tank. If there are no fish left, I would suggest a complete teardown and disinfection before giving it another go (and then a fishless cycle).

One thing I found that addresses your question was a couple of pages deep in the Google search and said this:
The Protozoa which causes the disease is highly contagious and able to live without a host for many months. So if an aquarium has had an infection it should not be used to house any small Tetras for many months because there will be a renewed out break of the disease.

Medic6666

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
London, UK
I did use google which is how I realised what my fish were dying from. But after going through loads of dead addresses and then sites that only tell you what the disease is, I decided to ask here.

I only have neons in my tank and half are dead (removed as soon as spotted). Its weird but I have checked them all and they all look/looked fine and yet every morning a couple are dead.

Will have to wait and see what happens to the others as there is no cure. Perhaps a couple may be hardy enough to survive it.

Perhaps I'll get a dog next time. :(

Cheers anyway

Medic6666

"To date there is no known cure, the only 'treatment' being the immediate removal of diseased fish to preserve the remaining fish. "
This is from the first hit on TurbineSurgeons Google search.
If you can setup a medical tank perhaps you can move your fish to it, tear down your existing tank, scrub and rebuild it. You'd probably not want to use anything from the current tank for the new setup - just to try and avoid the infection crossing tanks.

Since you are loosing fish in bunches and nightly I'd say something is killing your fish.
Your Nitrate levels are fine?

Medic6666

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
London, UK
yep all levels are normal.

only 2 left dont have a spare tank.

When I clean the tank should I dump the gravel and get some new stuff or would a good was and complete dryout do.

I'll replace all filter media and give the plants a good wash.

When I searched google I ended up with about 10 links that went nowhere and the others only tell me what the disease is and to remove dead fish. My question was how do I clear the tank?

Do I use just hot water, do I use a cleaning agent, how do I make sure that the tank and bits are clear of this disease before I start with fish again?

cheers

Medic6666

Luca

Large Fish
Jun 9, 2003
Middle Earth (New Zealand)
Visit site
I'd dump the stones and bleach the tank. I have a 50/50 mix of water and bleach in a spray bottle and i spray the tank thoroughly, then rinse out several times, then prepare a small bowl full of lots of water ager (it acts against the chlorine in the bleach) and wash the sides down with a paper towel or similar. Rinse again, leave to dry. No more NTD. Goodluck

Another Quote from TurbineSugeons Google hit:
"Because consuming infected material passes on the protozoa, it is nearly impossible to rid a tank of the parasite if there are infected fish present. Anytime one fish picks at another, they are at risk of contracting the disease. For this reason, it's imperative to quarantine infected fish. It is true that the spores may present in many aquariums, however careful cleaning and maintenance will remove most of them. It is only when a fish consumes the spores that they become infected."

Be careful of what cleaning solutions you use. Soap is a big no-no (it will never fully leave the tank). I don't have any experience with bleaching a tank, but it apparently has worked for Luca.

Don't forget that if you completely tear down the tank you'll have to cycle it again.

Good luck.

Luca

Large Fish
Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Bleaching does work well, potassium permanagante in enough quantity is powerful too. Good point about soap, remember to buy just normal bleach, not scented, check the label. You should buy another tank Medic, even just a little one to remove infected fish into, you're bound to have an outbreak of something or other sooner or later.

The tank won't need to be "re-cycled" if the filter media can be run in an established tank while you clear up the original tank. Got any friends with fish?

May 14, 2004
Visit site
How about after using bleach.... Leave the tank in the sun for a couple of days. That should take care of virus and bacteria and for spore forming protozoa, add some water to the tank for a couple of days. let it germinate then add bleach and sun dry it.

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Rather than risk it, I would discard the gravel at least (it's cheap, especially if you use pool filter sand like I do).

To disinfect the tank, I would add a "large" quantity of bleach (make sure it's unscented) and fill the tank with water. Go ahead and run the filter on the aquarium with no media to make sure everything is dead in the filter as well. You could also place the heater, large rocks, etc. in there also. After it has been circulating for 30 minutes to an hour, drain it, then rinse with water and let it sun dry. For large rocks, rinse several times and then when they no longer smell like bleach, soak them in a bucket and add a bunch of dechlorinator. Leave them in there for a while and then air dry them as well.

If you have driftwood, a method I have heard mentioned, but never tried myself, is to run it in the dishwasher (with no detergent, of course).

That should take care of any pathogens that are present.

Luca

Large Fish
Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Good point about the smell. Always check to make sure it doesn't smell like bleach. I recently bleached a 15 gallon tank, rinsed it multiple times, left it outside to air dry (upon hearing that bleach totally evaporates), but I found that the smell remained, so i had to rinse it with water aged water, then rinse it with normal water, then it was ok. Just my experience, chlorine smells pretty strong though which is good so if you can smell any use some kind of dechlorinator.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
While it may be true that there is no known reliable cure for Neon Tetra disease, there is one thing you could try..........

Nalagram - Active Ingredient: Nalidixic acid (water soluble)
Used to treat stubborn gram negative bacterial infections such as: neon tetra disease, Malawi Bloat, hemmorhagic septicemia, swollen belly disease. http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/disease_8.html

Naladixic acid is probably the best treatment for the so-called "Neon Tetra" disease, but should be used with caution and only in a quarantine aquarium. Treats internal bacterial infections, and also works against freshwater monogenetic parasites. For freshwater use only. Repeat doses are not reccomended.

It’s a bit like Napalm in that it’s not exactly subtle stuff - but if you have no other choice then it may be worth a go.

The active ingredient to look for is Nalidixic (also spelt Naladixic) acid.

This stuff treats for gram negative bacteria - so because your filter bacteria are also gram negative you should be prepared for a cycle after treatment.

Although it does say Q tank if possible - I personally would treat the whole tank as a precaution (after dumping the filter media and the gravel where the nasties may be hiding).