My Rubber Lip Pleco wont eat??

Fishyman

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
I just got this rubber lip pleco and it wont eat the algae tablets or cucumber I put in the tank like my normal pleco and two other sucker fishes ( very small, forgot the name starts with an O) in the other tank... I need some suggests on how to feed this dumb thing before it dies... All replies and tips would be helpful

FiShYmAn

wethead

Large Fish
Jun 7, 2003
Phila. Burbs
Visit site
Don't blame the poor fish, i ALWAYS check the shape of pleco's before i buy. They come into the shop not eating & it's almost impossible to get them to start.
Not much help to you now but something to think about in the future......Rich

Nov 5, 2002
Auburn, CA
I have the same fish in my tank. He will readilly eat algae pellets but he will also feed on these other items:

1. Zuchinni (lightly boiled)

2. Sinking Frog Pellets

3. Romaine Lettuce (weighted down to the bottom)

4. Tubifex Worms (those that get to the bottom)

5. Sinking Fish Food Pellets

I would suggest feeding a variety to see what this fish will eat. Also you may find that it is feeding at night when you do not see his activities.

Hope this helps *celebrate

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
ok let's try that again?!?!?
I have a rubber lipped pleco too, and he never seems to eat, I have tried cucumber, algae wafers, zuccini, romaine & iceburg lettuce, the insides of thawed frozen peas....you name it i've tried it, but I have had him for 3 months, never seen him eat yet, but he's happy & healthy and always sucking the glass at night...I wouldn't worry too much, as long as he's healthy and active, he may just be eating at night when the lights are out. Try the insides of peas (just take off the shells and smoosh it up a bit before you put them in the tank) put it in right before you go to bed, or around the time the lights go out...you may find they have "magically disappeared" in the morning, I only give him about 3-4 (cuz then my catfish get piggy and eat it all before my pleco does).
Good luck!!

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
have you tryed using garlic as an attracting substance.i ue garlic extract on all my fish.especialy new fish.if you can't get garlic extract from your lfs try rubbing a clove on whatever you intend to feed to your pleco.let me know if it helps.as stated above it's a good idea to see if they will eat for you in the store.