molly gestation period- 15 days?

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
is this true? i thought it would be longer than that, but the lps people told me that it is 14-17 days.

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
Question:  I have a black molly, thought it was fine.  No other mollies with it.  Suddenly started to get REAL fat - guess it could have been preggers when I got it.  Tonight instead of swimming it's not doing anything, infact I saw it resting on the bottom - it had never done that before.  Swam back towards surface, then drifted down onto a plant.  Just stayed there - as if resting.  I'm concerned: is it preggers and ready to make "fries" (ha ha) or is it sick and should it be pulled out of the community tank?  I hadn't planned on breeding fish...

Oct 22, 2002
You need to respond quickly but do you have any salt in the tank. If no this is molly bloat and the fish will die. These are hardy brackish water fish not freshwater. Although guppies, platies, and swordtails live in freshwater mollies need salt otherwise they bacome bloated and die quickly. :p

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
My uncles had mollies for 10 years and never put salt in the water, and they thrived, then, when he did, he lots about 3-4 of them, it sounds to me like she might be pregnant... in that case, if you want fry, buy a breeding net, if not, they will be eaten by the other tank mates, watch her for a while, and see what she does.

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
The point is now mute:  "Stealthy" passed yesterday afternoon.  I'm wondering if it was dropsey - it was so bloated.  When I look back over my tank log books I see that it didn't develop any problems until I moved it to a different tank.  I had to move it - it was attacking some of the other fish.  The tank I moved it to was a more established tank with fewer fish.  

Yesterday I moved "Stealthy" out of the community tank into a hospital tank and added a broad spectrum antibiotic. I was obviously too late - damn those fish store people!!!

After I removed "Stealthy" I checked the water in the community tank: pH~7.2, negative for ammonia, temp steady at 76, water very clear, tiny bit of green algae.  Filter looked alright - due for a change on Saturday, 3/2 (I change it every 2 weeks).  The BioWheel seems fine.  

I want to understand what happened, to prevent it in the future.

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
I never checked the nitrates in that tank.  I was under the impression if the ammonia was negative the cycle was "in control".  
As far as vegetation - the only veggies that the molly got was an occasional frozen vegie treat.
I was unaware they needed freshies.  I'm not surprised that I didn't know that, we've only been keeping fish since December.  I'm saddened every time we lose a fish, and we have lost a few...
It has to be said, that molly was a real piggy, bless it's little heart.  My little boy was always laughing about how long it's "poops" were!  Sometimes longer than the fish...
I digress - sorry.

aidanchick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I had my platy's for like 2 days and then I had baby fish...  :) it was a happy thing to see only because, of all the negative stuff going on in my life... when I saw them I thought "With death also comes life" ... sadly, my babies died of ick.. gurr... never let your mother take care of your fish while your on vacation!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Mollys do better when given vegetation in their diet. Fresh, a dry staple food or even algae.

NitrAtes are the rusult of ammonia--->nitIte---->nitrAte. with water changes , we remove the excess nitrAtes.

Non-planted tanks should try to be under 30ppms. 50ppms is ok. 80ppms is getting too high.Sometimes on overstocked tanks it can be difficult, so more frequent water changes are needed.

Dropsey is developed through lack of nutrition, bad envirnment , and/or stress. She would have looked like a pinecone on her belly.

Mollys can also die given birth...mine have already.

Mollys are one of those fish I feel actually would do better with salt added. Some of them get nasty tumors and funguses without it. Just from what I have observed though, I never added salt back when I kept them either.

tizme

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
After reading this post series, I've developed a bunch of questions:

First, I have a new lyertail molly (female or male ??? how do you tell?) who now lives with 2 Dia Tetras, 1 Blk Angelfish, and 1 Spotted Cory Catfish in a 26 gal AquaClear tank w/ 2 moneyworts and 2 mondo grass plants. Temp range is 76-78.

I'm wondering if a molly was a good idea.  The salt I get no prob.  Its actually good for all the fish = deters parasites!  The brackish water NOT freshwater info. was surprising.  I know nothing about brackish water v. freshwater.  Live Vegetation?  Does that mean they eat plants or they need something else?  

I should mention that my molly is a tad bit aggressive at times.  It hangs out at the very top of the tank next to the heater.  So far, seems to be eating the tropical flakes and bloodworms.

Any help and any info is greatly appreciated. ::)

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
 Well, there is always an easy way to sex mollies or any other livebearing fish. There is always a gonopodium, i think that is how you spell it. Anyway a gonopodium is an extension on the male near the under belly. Actually i never did use salt with my mollies and they did fine but, it is advised to use the salt.

Live vegetation means live plants such as your moneyworts and your mondo grass, although i do remember someone saying to me that mondo grass was not true aquatic.

They do eat plants but, they do need  a balanced diet of flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, vegation, ect.

*celebratesmiley* Good Luck,*celebratesmiley*

Fenos'tol

Daniel

tizme

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well, my molly suddenly began foaming at the mouth... then later upon introduction to salt = died.   :-[  Thanks for you info anyway.

Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=tizme link=board=breeding&num=992881632&start=15#15 date=06/12/02 at 19:54:24]
Well, my molly suddenly began foaming at the mouth... then later upon introduction to salt = died.   :-[  Thanks for you info anyway.[/quote]

Oh how i hate columnaris!!! Lost six zebra danios to that disease.